Thread: Gill Rain Wear

Gill Rain Wear

Wanted some good rain wear. Stopped and Cabela’s and Bass Pro to try on the 100 mph and Guide wear stuff as well as the HPR stuff that was on sale. I had my mind made up to go with the Cabela’s Guide wear. Didn’t buy yet hoping that it would go on sale in the spring. While reading more topics on rain gear (I’ve read pretty much every topic about rain gear on this site and some others) I kept coming across Gill and Simms Pro dry also.

Simms Pro dry is out of my price range. So I’ve decided to go with Gill. In one of the countless pages I read I came across someone who found a 25% discount at Sound boat works. The thread was from 2019 but I went there and the discount code still works.

Some of the online reviews for Sound Boat works aren’t the greatest especially when things are backordered, so I called them before placing my order to see if the items were available. One items was in stock at their store the the other 2 had to come from Gill to them and then be shipped to me.

With the discount, free shipping and no Tax, the total for the Gill coat and bibs ended up being $43 more than Guide wear would be during the Spring sale at BPS with the tax.

Ended up going with the Gill Pro Tournament 3 Layer Bib in Large, and Gill Race Fusion Jacket Large in Orange. It was a toss up between the Race Fusion and the OS2 Jacket, I wanted a hood that could be stored as I expect to use the rainwear for hunting and motorcycle riding when needed. The OS2 was backordered with no date for expected delivery so I went with the Race Fusion.

One of the hardest thing to figure out is what size. Lots of posts about rain wear just say how well it works not about fit. Trying on the 100mph and Guide wear I liked the fit of the Large vs the Medium or XL. I did find some people that were about my size that said Medium fit ok as well as others that said large. Gill size chart puts me right at medium to large, went with the large to be able to layer, and I don’t like tight fitting stuff. I’m 5’8’ about 180 lbs with 34 waist most of the time.

Placed my order today so now waiting for the rainwear to arrive. Will update with how it fits once it arrives. As well as how dealing with Sound Boat Works went.

2. Member
    I recently found the Gill FG25 on gills website but the only size they had was S. Luckily that's what I needed and I got bibs and jacketed discounted for around $300. It's insulated which is what I wanted for cold cold weather and I couldn't be happier. I would almost order another for a backup just to have it. Super warm, super adjustable.

3. Member
    I have the Gill FG25 insulated suit too. I've only worn it once, and it never rained that day. I will tell you, I was used to layering up under my non-insulated suit and there's no need to do that with this thing. I was sweating all day in that thing!

I am similar size and have a Gill large jacket. I have been very pleased with it.
    Enjoying life in Southern Illinois

5. Member
    I returned my Gill FG2 jacket in XL. It was way too tight for me in the armpits and the sleeves were too short. Hopefully your jacket fits you better.
    I kept the XL FG2 bibs though. It was a little tight in the crotch but did not restrict my movement or really bother me that much when I sat down or got up and I decided I could live with it. It's really unusual for a XL item to feel too small for me. I am a L most of the time and occasionally wear a XL.

6. Member
    I have the Gill FG2 uninsulated bib and parka/hooded jacket in XL and they fit good although the inseam of the bib is a little long.

Mine came from Sound Boat Works also. If I remember correctly I paid $425 delivered with the discount.

If Gill is good enough for the Offshore Sail Boat racing community they are good enough for me.

Would buy again.
    Last edited by 1Holeshot; 03-24-2021 at 07:39 PM.
    2020 Triton 18 TRX
    Tournament Fishing Package
    2020 Mercury 200 Pro XS V8 Serial # 2B588923
    Minn Kota Ultrex 80# I Pilot Link
    Hi Jacker EZ 6" Jack Plate
    Bravo 1 FS 24 Pitch Prop
    Humminbird Helix 7 SI GPS CHIRP G2 Bow
    Humminbird Helix 7 CHIRP MEGA GPS DI G3 Console
    Trick Step Boarding Steps
    RMP Engine Support

Large will fit you fine based off your size. Medium would probably be a little snug. I’m 5’11” , 215 and the XL fits me well. I have a set of insulated and non insulated and they both fit the same. Like mentioned above, the insulated FG 25 are very very warm and you do NOT need to layer up like you would do with a traditional rain suit. I usually wear sweats and a hoodie under my insulated suit and that’s plenty. You wear more than that, you will sweat your a$$ off.

I keep waiting to see a guidewear sale myself. I've gone through so many other sets of raingear and have not been happy so now I'm just going to bite the bullet
    and try it. Can't believe they can sleep at night charging $300 for a raincoat...

9. Member
    Received shipping info yesterday for the rain wear that Sound Boat works didn't have in stock, to be delivered tomorrow. Right at 3 weeks for them to get it from Gill and ship to me. I did receive an OS31 jacket that was on clearance that they had in stock in about a week. I ordered the OS31 in size XL as Large wasn't available and the OS31 is discontinued, it is a little big on me but workable.

My Gill Tournament Bibs and Jacket will be here Friday. I'm 6'4" and 250lbs. I ordered both in the XXL sizes since that's where I fell according to their sizing charts. We'll see how it goes!

11. Member
    I have the Gill FG2 parka and bibs and had to get 3xl instead of 2xl in order to layer up as they are uninsulated. Not that you need much layering as even the unisulated suit is very warm and keeps you dry.I actually got the Simms Challenger suit for warmer weather as the Gill suit was too warm.

12. Member
    You will not regret choosing Gill over the others. Your sizing should be just fine. Welcome to the Gill family.