2004 Mercury Optimax 225 1B106138 Trim Issue

Hello. Last Saturday I was heading to the ramp about 10 miles away. I got on plane and trimmed up a little until I got on the straight away. When I tried to trim all the way up it wouldn't trim up anymore and an alarm sounded every time I hit the up trim on my throttle. I ran all the way to the ramp and when I got stopped everything worked as it should. It trimmed up and down with no alarm. What could cause this? Thank you.

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    What RPM's were you turning at the time?

Battery properly connected, terminals stacked properly, and tightened with a stainless Nut or Locknut (no wingnuts)?

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    What RPM's were you turning at the time?

Battery properly connected, terminals stacked properly, and tightened with a stainless Nut or Locknut (no wingnuts)?
    I was around 4500 RMP's. Yes, I just replaced my starting battery about a month ago (Duracell AGM Deep Cycle Group 31). My main terminals are by themselves and tightened with a stainless nut. All other terminals are on T-H Marine Multi Connection.

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Wondering if perhaps you were dumping battery voltage by continuously trying to trim out further (usually won't use full trim until WOT RPM's).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

5. Member
    Wondering if perhaps you were dumping battery voltage by continuously trying to trim out further (usually won't use full trim until WOT RPM's).
    I’ll try it this Saturday during our club tournament and see what happens. Thank you.

6. Member
    Looks like bushing is crushed and trilobe pin is missing. Where do I order those and how hard are they to replace?

7. Member
    Looks like bushing is crushed and trilobe pin is missing. Where do I order those and how hard are they to replace?

8. Member
    merc dealer , get some red loctite for od of bushing too ,not bad
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

9. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    See Rhonda's post, pinned at the top of the Forum for Parts assistance. If you drop her an email with your serial number, she can set you up with a replacement bushing and a tri-lobe pin.

Be sure to inspect the trim motor to make sure to interference damage has occurred there.

10. Member
    Thank y'all!

11. Member
    Are there any tips/tricks that I need to be aware of when installing trilobe pin and bushing?

12. Member
    becareful not to distort bushing when installing,remove trim sender , trilobe comes in from front
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JOE54 View Post
    becareful not to distort bushing when installing,remove trim sender , trilobe comes in from front
    I apologize, but I've never done this. Can you explain what I need to do in detail. Thank you for your help.

14. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    If you remove the cross-pin, it's possible to push a long extension through from the opposite side, place the bushing on the extension (red loctite applied to O.D.), then install a deep socket (usually 9/16") that you can tap against the bushing to push it down into the bore of the swivel bracket.

If this doesn't "click" for you, you might want to enlist the hands-on expertise of a knowledgeable tech.

15. Member
    If you remove the cross-pin, it's possible to push a long extension through from the opposite side, place the bushing on the extension (red loctite applied to O.D.), then install a deep socket (usually 9/16") that you can tap against the bushing to push it down into the bore of the swivel bracket.

If this doesn't "click" for you, you might want to enlist the hands-on expertise of a knowledgeable tech.
    Awesome! Thank you very much!