Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Question Anyone work for the county or state mowing?

Been thinking about what part time (or maybe full time for the right job) I want to do when I retire from aviation.

I know it probably sounds silly, but I think I'd like to work for the county or state mowing highway medians and such. I can sit in a cab tractor with A/C, have my daily ham and cheese sammich for lunch with a bag of original lays chips and a jug of iced tea! And never have to manage a SOUL other than myself. Seems like a good fit for an aging farm boy!

Anyone got experience doing this sort of thing?

2. Member
    My dad always said that’s was his dream when he retired! Looks like so much fun

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mizzou211 View Post
    Been thinking about what part time (or maybe full time for the right job) I want to do when I retire from aviation.

I know it probably sounds silly, but I think I'd like to work for the county or state mowing highway medians and such. I can sit in a cab tractor with A/C, have my daily ham and cheese sammich for lunch with a bag of original lays chips and a jug of iced tea! And never have to manage a SOUL other than myself. Seems like a good fit for an aging farm boy!

Anyone got experience doing this sort of thing?
    I would worry about fools on the road running over me! I think job has a lot of close calls and is more dangerous than most realize!

4. Member
    I have a crew that does that very job. You’ll either love it or quit. We’re in a high traffic area and you’ll have some close calls if you do it long enough. It’s a good job, but it’s not for everyone.

Thanks guys...keep the replies coming.

6. Member
    Another option could be mowing golf courses. I know several retirees that wake up early and cut the course before everybody gets out to play.

7. Member
    You might can get a job mowing the Turnpike from kansas state line from oklahoma to Emporia.That would be fun through the flint hills
    1996 Nitro 884 Savage,150 Mercury efi,Solas SS 4 Blade 22P,Terrova 112 I-Pilot,Helix 10si,Helix 10di,3 Cannon Downriggers.

I did it for the parks system when I was in high school and college. I didn't mind it, it was pretty toasty on days when I wasn't in the cab, and thr headaches from the ac on days in the cab were worse. Traffic and idiot drivers are a real concern especially if you are on the highway. The steep banks /soft spots/sink holes are always risky. If you are comfortable on a tractor you'll do fine.

9. Official Lip Ripper' haftafish22's Avatar
    I don’t but the thought of the beating you will take on equipment for your last “job” seems ill warranted

10. Member
    That would be a great part time retirement gig. To land a job like that, around here, you had better be on the good ol boy network.
    2020 Bullet 21XRS
    2020 Mercury Pro XS 250

11. Member
    The State and County mowing jobs here are full time and when they are not mowing they are weed eating around signs and other areas. They also pick up dead animals and dispose of them. I had a buddy that lasted a couple months and got tired of puking his guts out on roadkills. The good mowing jobs are at the Lakes but they are contracted so if you know who gets the bids you could work for them.

Quote Originally Posted by D.O.C. 989 View Post
    The State and County mowing jobs here are full time and when they are not mowing they are weed eating around signs and other areas. They also pick up dead animals and dispose of them. I had a buddy that lasted a couple months and got tired of puking his guts out on roadkills. The good mowing jobs are at the Lakes but they are contracted so if you know who gets the bids you could work for them.
    Get paid and also get to bring home dinner!

Quote Originally Posted by D.O.C. 989 View Post
    Thanks DOC. I wondered if there were also other duties when the mowing wasn't going on, such as driving salt/sand trucks in the winter.

14. Banned
    Buy a big mower and make sure everyone around you sees it. Dad bought a new Kubota before he retired now he is mowing a few places around him and some small lots scattered around the county. Said he would have bought two if he knew everyone wanted their places mowed. If you really want to stay busy run something in your local paper or Facebook.

15. Member
    I worked for a city the guys cutting grass do it rain or shine they also have to do snow removal.
    2020 pelican Bass raider 10E
    55lb minnkota endura max powered by a Duracell 31
    prop to pad it varies 4.5 mph on gps
    Garmin striker 4 plus.
    Hauled in the bed of a 2016 Ecoboost F150 !

16. Member
    Around here the State is contracted out. The county hires jacks of all trades. They mow. Fix culverts. Dig ditches. Gravel roads. Chip and seal roads. And run snow plows in the winter.

17. Member
    I'd rather run a sickle bar along secondary roads than mow highways. It's contract work most places

18. Member
    There are all sorts of "take a knee jobs" available. I've worked part time for years facilitating the transition classes you'll go through.

On the ones in my area only have a top. No A/C

20. Member
    Probably my favourite job of all time was during the summers in college. I worked seasonal cutting grass in the municipal cemetery. If you can get over the fact that it’s a cemetery, mowing grass in a nice beautiful “park” all week was great. By the time we finished it was time to start mowing all over again.
    98 skeeter 140SS

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast