Thread: Detached Retina

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Detached Retina

Last week I had noticed several floaters in my vision, didn't think too much about it. Then I noticed a shadow over my vision, right eye....Had surgery on Friday, have to either lay on my left side, or stare at the phone in my lap till tomorrow. As the gas bubble behind my eye dissipates my vision will start to return in that eye. I can see light, colors, movement... don't ask me how many fingers you are holding up..
    Doc says everything looking good, retina is stuck down, just has to heal up.

Xpress H-56 Yamaha 115

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by senkoboy View Post
    Last week I had noticed several floaters in my vision, didn't think too much about it. Then I noticed a shadow over my vision, right eye....Had surgery on Friday, have to either lay on my left side, or stare at the phone in my lap till tomorrow. As the gas bubble behind my eye dissipates my vision will start to return in that eye. I can see light, colors, movement... don't ask me how many fingers you are holding up..
    Doc says everything looking good, retina is stuck down, just has to heal up.
    Thats better than a buddy of mine who had that issue. I think he was on his side of face down for 2 weeks.

my wife had a procedure (lens implant) and had to do all the laying flat on her back looking at the ceiling stuff for the gas to "dry up" it sucked and I felt sorry for her, biggest thing to her was not being able to pick up granddaughter for 10 day??? (I think) glad to hear you are on the road to recovery though
    Putting a clown in the castle doesn't make him a king, it turns the castle into a circus

I had a detached retina in my right eye last year. I got the Scleral buckling surgery. I noticed floaters and wavy lines when sighting in my gun, went to doctor, surgery the next day. Once I was all healed up, lost most of my vision in that eye, most of my upper peripheral was lost, I kept centerline vision, but it is somewhat wavy and distorted in that eye (kinda like im trying to read something under water.) All of that being said, the human brain in an amazing machine, a year later and I hardly notice it anymore. Good luck to you, do exactly what the doctors tell you.

I never knew what happened to cause my detachment, any ideas on yours?

5. Member
    NO trama, Dr said sometimes as the vitreous fluid starts to pull away from the eye, it will pull the retina lose.
    I had 2 tears and that let fluid leak under the retina. I think the buckle is a different procedure than what I had. Mine was called Pars Plans Vitrectomy, air fluid gas exchange & endolaser

Xpress H-56 Yamaha 115

I had it happen last November, they did the buckle, didn’t work, so they lasered it down. Retina is fine now but 2 months ago they removed the buckle as it was causing double vision. I’m waiting on cataract surgery after first of the year. It’s been a long time since I had normal vision in my right eye. Yes the lying on the side deal for a straight 8days will drive you crazy.

Good Luck, stick with the treatment. It will get better, wait til the eye is half fluid half air, freaky!
    Mike Wright '07 Ranger 520vx
    Henrico Va./Henrico NC.

Quote Originally Posted by senkoboy View Post
    NO trama, Dr said sometimes as the vitreous fluid starts to pull away from the eye, it will pull the retina lose.
    I had 2 tears and that let fluid leak under the retina. I think the buckle is a different procedure than what I had. Mine was called Pars Plans Vitrectomy, air fluid gas exchange & endolaser
    Ya, the buckle is basically a "zip tie" around the eyeball. Pretty gnarly, check out the link in my post.

I went for an eye exam on Tuesday and my doctor said to keep an eye on the floaters and if I start to see flashes I need to let him know as I'm a likely candidate for a detached retina.

Glad to hear those that have experienced it have recovered.

Who did your surgery? I was using Dr Nicholas in Enid when my retina detached. He found me a great surgeon in Tulsa(Had the bedside manner of a grizzly bear with a tooth ache) For some reason I didn’t have to lay on my back or side. Lost about 30% vision in my right eye. I got most of it back thru prescription lenses. I played and fought to hard in my 10’ tall and bullet proof days. I’m sure paying for it now. Good luck to you.
    There’s no use being stupid if you’re not willing to show it off.

10. Member
    If you need anything in Enid they send you to OKC, technically Edmond this time. I was happy with the DR's knowledge and answers to my questions. Don't want to mess around with eye problems.

Xpress H-56 Yamaha 115

11. Member
    I had it a few years ago. Was using a string trimmer and got smacked in the eye with a piece of bark. They reattached the retina and I have perfect vision now.

12. Member
    My boss at work had one of those last year. He is still fighting it. Also got a neighbor of mine the had his detach this past summer, even after getting his eye fixed he said he still can see for chit. I hope you have better luck then they did.

13. Member
    Spotsylvania, Va. 22553. Near Frederi mm lcksburg, Va
    This happened to my wife twice, the same eye! The second time was only about 3 months after the first time. The second time the surgery was was more intense. A year later it's still ok.

14. Member
    I had one. Only long term issue was I still have tons of floaters. They are not going away, accordingly to my doctor.

15. Member
    Update:
    About 3 weeks after my first surgery I had another detachment in the same eye. Surgery #2 the next day, this time I got a scleral buckle, as well as the laser and gas bubble. All of this lead to a Cataract surgery in January, but he couldn't remove it completely. Couple of weeks ago DR removed what was left of the cataract with laser and my vision is better than it has been since last October when this all started. I now have astigmatism because of the buckle, and some distorted, wavy vision from the 1st detachment but I can read the computer screen.
    Long road, lots of visits to the Dr, not perfect vision in my right eye but it could have been much much worse.
    Last edited by senkoboy; 06-14-2020 at 08:47 AM.

Xpress H-56 Yamaha 115

16. Member
    Sounds like good times. Hope it works out for you

February I started seeing floaters, didn’t even know what they were. Saw an optometrist, he checked everything out, made an appointment for a month later. Follow up no changes. He also said to keep a watch for flashes.

18. Member
    Yep, flashes are a bad sign.
    I noticed a dark shadow across the left side of my vision in my right eye, that's when I said oh s#$&...
    Just floaters, they will keep an "eye" on you.

Xpress H-56 Yamaha 115

19. Member
    Had my dominate eye go in 2012. Saw a black half circle in the bottom of the eye. Thought "it will go away" Next day went to the doctor in Grand Rapids MI who did some lasik and put a bubble in. Face down for 14 days. Still was not healing and re-attaching so they put a buccle in about 6 weeks later. Lost most of the vision in that eye. I can see outlines of objects and contrasting items. Far vision and close up are gone. I would guess I am legally blind in that eye. Doctor said too much time led to the blood degration to the optic nerve, causing vision loss.

Update: had my left eye, now dominate eye go bad in February. Went to the GR doctor who said he could do surgery in about a week. Wife pitched a bi$ch and got them to refer me to University of Michigan eye center. Blew over there for emergency surgery. Doc said detached retina with eight other holes to repair. Told the wife I would be blind if I had waited or gone to Grand Rapids. Face down for 14 days thinking I was going to be blind in both eyes. Now have about 98 percent vision back in my left eye.

ADVICE: if you see anything out of the ordinary, go see a good ophthalmologist. Demand and drive to the best surgeon in the state and follow their directions. Thinking if I would have gotten to the doctor sooner, and had a better eye doctor with the first eye, I would not be almost totally blind.

Good luck and watch out for a second eye or re-occurrence in the first eye.
    dvl2700

20. Member
    You definitely need a top flight retina surgeon, for sure. People who are extremely near sighted are the ones most likely to have a retina detachment, RE-detachment, obviously, is most likely to occur in patients that have a previous detachment, As far a which treatment is used, it depends on the skill of the surgeon, the size and location of the detachment. Most often, for smaller more common tears, a TPPV (trans pars plana vitrectomy) with endophotocoagulation (EPC=Laser) to tack the retina back down. This procedure works for most small, minor detachments. It also may entail a gas injection. More severe detachments may include all of the above plus scleral buckle and silicone oil injection.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast