15 year old refresh on a 198- UPDATE ON TRANSOM post #15

Ok, so I admit it. Due to the fact our brand is no longer made I have batted around the idea of switching teams. The wife and I sat down and discussed it financially. We have both agreed that while we are now in a position to swing it, refreshing the 2006 Champ 198 would be easier on the pocketbook. The upgrades for the refresh would include:
    • New Mercury 4S 225- do I need a new Mercmonitor??
    • New Llebroc seats
    • New carpet
    • New gauge set- I am open to suggestions on what new tech might be out there to fill the holes
    • Wet sand and polish the gel coat, which is still in great condition
    • New Minnkota trolling motor (either replace the Terrova that is on there, or go to an Ulterra)
    • Panel switches, same ones but new
    • LED nav and anch light poles
    • New fenders for the trailer
    • Maybe new electronics. I have a 2006 console unit and a 2013 bow unit. I do not use electronics much, so these are not high on my list

So, that list is fairly comprehensive of what I have in mind to refresh and modernize the 198. Before I commit to doing this refresh however, the transom issue is nagging at me. Truthfully the transom gives me no obvious signs of concern. It is however, fifteen years old and it has never been resealed. I trust Pat Goff when he says to do a reseal every five years or so. I am three times past this advice. I have 540 hours on the engine and I fish 40-50 days a year, so the transom has seen some honest use over the years. I plan on having the hull inspected by a trusted local guy, that is an obvious step one should take on this journey.

I do not want to embark on a failed endeavor by refreshing the boat if the frame is broken. So I am seeking the advice of the masses. What are some things to watch for on a 2006 Champ transom? What are things to have the restorer really zero in on when he does his inspection? Are there any common bow eye or trolling motor mount issues to look for?

I have tapped the transom with a rubber mallet and my ear cannot hear anything of concern, I am by no means experienced in this though.

Thank you
    Last edited by fishwishin; 03-10-2021 at 01:41 PM.

2. Member
    New carpet and seats go a long way. Why a new 225? Maybe get what you can for it and put that down on a newer one.

Body in North GA (Lake Lanier) - Heart in KS
    Have you looked at Gauges yet? Id be interested in your choice as I need the same on my 198.

I would like a small recessed storage box put in the front of my chair for quick access,. Something in front of the seat pole hole. Storage sucks on the 198.
    2008 ChampioN 198 / 225 Opti ProXS! 1999 187 DC Elite / Merc 175 efi & 1989 184 DCR /Merc 175 xri

Quote Originally Posted by BOW4UM View Post
    Have you looked at Gauges yet? Id be interested in your choice as I need the same on my 198.

I would like a small recessed storage box put in the front of my chair for quick access,. Something in front of the seat pole hole. Storage sucks on the 198.
    Have not looked at gauges yet. I just set an appointment with the local restorer today for it to be seen next week. He will do a hull/transom inspection just to verify the Champ is sound for all the expensive upgrades. I expect it to go well, but I just want to absolutely make sure. If I do go through with the project I will share all the updates as I go along.

As far as recessed storage goes- I have a recessed trolling motor control tray, but I run a MK Terrova and the foot control does not fit in the tray. I have just been keeping the foot control on the front deck near the pedestal, I run the MK with a remote on a lanyard around my neck most of the time, so the tray has become a catch all for baits of the day etc... I have long thought about building a lid to go over the tray and put it on hinges so I can just lift it open as needed. I would also attach the MK foot control to the top of the lid.

Quote Originally Posted by rid 05 198 View Post
    New carpet and seats go a long way. Why a new 225? Maybe get what you can for it and put that down on a newer one.
    I just want to get into a 4 stroke. Selling the Champ and putting the money down on a new one was the original plan, it is still a potential plan of action.

If by chance the Champ goes up for sale it will not necessarily mean anything wrong was found on it. It will just mean I have gone in a different direction and the Champ will come with a comprehensive report (survey??).

6. Champion Boats Moderator Lea's Avatar
    You’re not going to find a prettier boat than that Champion!

Quote Originally Posted by Lea View Post
    Lord, don't I know it!!

Thank you Lea!

Body in North GA (Lake Lanier) - Heart in KS
    He could find a RED one :)

Quote Originally Posted by Lea View Post
    2008 ChampioN 198 / 225 Opti ProXS! 1999 187 DC Elite / Merc 175 efi & 1989 184 DCR /Merc 175 xri

9. Member
    I'm going through the same thing. I replaced seats and carpet in my 07-200 elite. New graphs, TM and power poles over the last year. Just dropped my boat off for a new 225 pro-xs 4 stroke at my dealership. I absolutely love my boat, perfect size, perfect colors and I know the boat has been babied by me. Nothing mechanical wrong with my motor but it's getting a LOT of hours and I want the warranty of a new one.

10. Member
    I see where you said, "while we are now in a position to swing it",.... Damn, to me right there says to think this over some more! How many times do you get too go around in life? Ha Ha. I say go for it!

11. Moderator
    Just remember, at the end of the day it still a 15 year old boat. Good luck with whatever you decide....

12. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by dukhntr View Post
    Just remember, at the end of the day it still a 15 year old boat. Good luck with whatever you decide....
    Yeah sure it's a few years old that means nothing when it comes to the quality or condition of the boat

13. Member
    I'm doing my 1998 221 this spring. Everything works great right now but I want a new motor just because. The boat rides better than any I have ever been in so I don't care how old it is. The 1998 225 efi has 276 hours on it and has never not started. The boat gives me such pleasure but the thought of a quieter motor and no 2-stroke startup exhaust is really pleasing. My only regret is I love mercury but my stupid "any V6" plate is forcing me to go with a Yamaha SHO because of liability issues with insurance. The purpose of the "any v6" plate was to say I can put any motor I want on it but sadly, 23 years later that is not the case. Either way, I'm doing because I want to.

My advice is if you want it and you can afford it ..... go for it. Don't worry about value. Heck a new $80k boat loses 15K as soon as you leave the dealer. Not much value there. Any boat is like that. Anyway, enjoy the opportunity to be on something great on the water.

14. Member
    I agree redo yours and get another motor if you want!

My transom has been given a clean bill of health and all the fittings have been resealed. The modernization of the 198 is officially underway!

16. Member
    Who did your transom inspection? I live a couple hours from your area and have a 196 I would like to have inspected. Thanks!