Spot lock calibration question

I’m hoping to purchase a Ghost in the near future. Am I understanding correctly that if, after doing the initial spot lock calibration, I go to a lake that’s 50 miles away, I would need to calibrate again for spot lock to work correctly? If that is the case, is this something you have to do every time you go anywhere new? Do you have to recalibrate once you get back to your home lake? Sorry, I’m just not understanding since I don’t have to do anything with my GPS on my depth finder, just wait for it to acquire my position.

2. Member
    You can easily download the manual and read about it for yourself. There are two calibrations required, one for the heading sensor and one for mount/bow offset. They only need to be done once.

You don't have to calibrate for the spot lock to work, the GPS is in the head of the unit and will spot lock even without the TMC-1. But to be able to jog the boat while in spot lock the TMC-1 needs to be connected and calibrated. Calibration adapts the magnetic heading sensor (TMC-1) to the magnetic field of your specific location on earth. If you were to travel 1000 north, east, west, or south, you might have to do it again.
    Here are the instructions for the two calibrations:

Calibration of the heading sensor
    Good calibration compensates for the deviation (local field) on board the boat, and adapts
    the sensors to the earth’s magnetic field strength for optimal resolution.
    Note: The setup of the compass should be done in calm conditions, with minimal wind and
    current, to obtain good results. Ensure that there is enough open water around the vessel to
    make a full turn.
    Note: For optimal performance new calibration may be required if the boat has traveled to
    a location where the earth’s magnetic field is significantly different from the location where
    it was last calibrated. This is because the strength of the magnetic field varies in different
    locations.
    1 Activate configuration mode.
    2 Press and release the Configurable key 3. An audible confirmation will be heard when
    releasing the key.
    3 Perform a 390 degree turn (circle) with a steady, stable, low rate of turn (2-3°/second). This
    process could take a few minutes.
    4 Once calibration is complete, an audible confirmation is heard.
    5 Exit configuration mode or proceed with other calibrations.

Calibration of mount bow offset
    Note: Misalignment between the lower unit and the heading sensor after calibration will
    cause poor performance in automatic steering modes.
    1 Align the lower unit to the centerline of the boat before entering configuration mode.
    2 Activate configuration mode.
    3 Press and release the Anchor key. An audible confirmation will be heard when the bow offset
    is calibrated.
    4 Exit configuration mode or proceed with other calibrations.
    2004TR-21X/2015 250 ProXS
    2B112175

3. Member
    Thanks for that information. I thought I had already looked up and read the Ghost manual, but after thinking about it I realized that I had read the manual for the Motorguide Tour Pro since I was also considering that trolling motor. I'm glad to know I won't have to re-calibrate whenever I go somewhere further away to fish.

4. Member
    Probably not a major problem on a TM but a different story with navigation and using magnetic compasses for any distance.

Pattern of Magetic Declination.jpg
    Wes
    Helix 10 MSI+,MDI+,Ultrex IPilot
    2023 Phoenix 818
    Never assume there's a tomorrow