150hp standard four stroke vs. pro xs

How much of a difference should i expect between these two motors top speed, fuel economy, torque etc. 2019 or newer

2. Member
    I have 2018 standard 4 stroke. I have read on here the major difference is the lower gear case or foot. The pro xs is made for the bass boat market. The standard for more regular boats. Both are fine engines. The standard maybe a mile or two faster on same boat but maybe a touch harder to pick best prop for. Personal preference! What boat ya putting it on?

3. Member
    Ranger 198P

4. Member
    From the research I did was that the XS is geared slightly different and has some newer electronics. The XS from what I read is geared to get a little more top end speed, say another couple MPH.
    I had a snafu on a new boat I ordered that was supposed to have the XS, but came with the normal 4 stroke version. The dealer made it right, but have always wondered if I would have noticed the difference when I see an XS at the ramp on another boat.
    The 4 stroke gets my Nitro Z19 Sport up to about 52-54ish with 2 guys pretty well loaded.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kicker5 View Post
    Ranger 198P
    i would do pro sx

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    In addition to the above info, the mount configuration on the ProXS is stiffer. For a fishing application (your Ranger)- I'd definitely go with the ProXS.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

The ProXS has gears better suited for hole shot, not necessarily top speed. It also has low water pickup, revs 200 more RPM, and as mentioned the stiffer mounts. So on a bass boat, the Pro.