Helix vs Solix installation accessories

A buddy of mine just picked up a new to him boat. It currently has Lowrance HDS Gen 2 touches on it like mine...he hates my Lowrance units and wants to go to HB like he had on his last boat. His current rig has a NMEA 2K network for sharing the Point 1 to the HDS units and an ethernet cable to network them together for mapping and waypoint sharing. The immediate plan is to get a couple of G3N or G4N Helix units or a couple of Solix units. He is also interested in getting a 360 (didn't specify Mega or non-Mega). I'd also guess that Live will be looked at once it's released. I say all that to ask what things would he need to get everything networked together and working properly? From what I've gathered, the Helix and Solix network differently and the parts needed might not be the same. Also, could the Point 1 be re-used or would it need to be replaced with a HB unit? I suppose the Helix units still can't share mapping either? I've never dealt with either variety of 360 so I have no idea how it connects, but it appears the Live is an ethernet connection. Would that mean a network switch would be needed regardless of whether Helix or Solix is chosen? From some quick research it appears that even though the per unit cost of the Helix line is less, they need more accessories to make them work with everything else. Thanks in advance for any info!
    2009 Triton 21X3 250 Mercury Optimax Pro XS
    Minn Kota Fortrex 80
    2 Lowrance HDS Live 12s at bow w/ Active Target
    Lowrance HDS Carbon 9 and 12 at console
    2 8' Power Pole Pro Series

Humminbird Ethernet stuff is different than Lowrance Ethernet stuff.

The NMEA2000 connection of a Helix G4N is more direct than with a Helix G3N=less parts. Close to what a SOLIX would be except Helix units have a uni-plug (aka cable collector) that makes all the cable connections quick disconnect. SOLIX units have the threaded lock nut type like a Lowrance.
    To connect an Ethernet cable to a Helix requires an adapter cable AS EC QDE for that quick disconnect feature.
    Can use the Point1 for GPS/Heading, but cannot subscribe to heading separate from GPS with a Helix, can with a SOLIX.

Yep Helix will not share mapping, SOLIX will.

The 360 is discontinued and an Ethernet accessory so it would take the AS ETH 5PXG Ethernet Switch to connect the two displays and the 360.
    The MEGA 360 connects to the unit's transducer port so just an Ethernet cable between units is needed.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

3. Member
    Thanks Wayne, good info. My last boat had Helix units that I installed. Seemed like the G2 units needed adapters for everything, was hoping the newer units had improved on that. I'll pass it along.
    Minn Kota Fortrex 80

4. Member
    Follow up question to this that I didn't think about the first time. What all will be needed for the console unit to have 2D while on plane as well as DI/SI? On my last boat I ended up buying a Y-cable and a couple of transducers IIRC. His last boat (it had HB as well) didn't have a 2D in the bilge, so he lost depth while on plane...doesn't want that this time around. Could the 2D Lowrance puck be used with a adaptor or would it be better to just put a HB one in it's place? At this point I think he's decided to just pull all of the Lowrance stuff out and go with HB but I thought I'd check first.
    Minn Kota Fortrex 80

Quote Originally Posted by MattVT18 View Post
    Follow up question to this that I didn't think about the first time. What all will be needed for the console unit to have 2D while on plane as well as DI/SI? On my last boat I ended up buying a Y-cable and a couple of transducers IIRC. His last boat (it had HB as well) didn't have a 2D in the bilge, so he lost depth while on plane...doesn't want that this time around. Could the 2D Lowrance puck be used with a adaptor or would it be better to just put a HB one in it's place? At this point I think he's decided to just pull all of the Lowrance stuff out and go with HB but I thought I'd check first.
    A high performance fiberglass hull should have a shoot-thru 2D transducer in the bilge.

Lowrance doesn't have a HW CHIRP Low-Q transducer that would match the last couple of generations of Humminbird units.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

6. Member
    Thanks Wayne, what would he need for the HB to work? He has settled on a Helix 9 mega DI+ for the front and Helix mega SI+ for the console. Not going to add mega 360 yet so we'll worry about that later...
    Minn Kota Fortrex 80

Quote Originally Posted by MattVT18 View Post
    Thanks Wayne, what would he need for the HB to work? He has settled on a Helix 9 mega DI+ for the front and Helix mega SI+ for the console. Not going to add mega 360 yet so we'll worry about that later...
    All SI+ and DI+ models have HW CHIRP as standard for 2D sonar.
    For a shoot-thru 2D transducer, that would be the XP 9 HW.

What can go up front depends on the exact model of trolling motor.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

8. Member
    Got it, thanks!
    Minn Kota Fortrex 80