Thread: Fasting

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Roosterman View Post
    I fast 16 hrs a day every day. Done it for years. Rare occasions I’ll eat after 6 pm. Don’t eat again until 10:30-11:30am next day.
    Similar, but 630-930AM, with run or cycling workout from 7-8. That's about all I can handle.
    Greg
    Edgewater 245CC

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fx20 2011 View Post
    I did beer fasting for a weekend, that was fun. Nothing against fasting however it should be done in consolation with a doctor. For some people it works, and can be healthy however for others it can be deadly. For example if you have diabetes or low blood sugar.

Have fun at it.
    I am guessing you mean consultation?

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wirerat99 View Post
    I have done it a bunch - I did alternate day fasting for a while - 46 hour fast with a 2 hour eating window. And I have done a bunch of 5 - 7 day fast. It is not easy, but after the first 3 days you will hit the groove and then it is pretty smooth sailing. People have all different kinds of opinions, it's the internet, but for myself I think the health benefits, mental clarity, cleansing affect on the body, reduced joint pain and so forth are very much worth it. Even if you feel like you don't need to lose weight a 5 day fast once or twice a year I think is very beneficial. You for sure have a fasting muscle and you need to build up a tolerance for it. Also if you go more than 24 hours electrolytes become an issue for some. A little sea salt in your water or coffee really helps. Just my opinion of course.

Joe
    Joe, how did you feel during and after the 5 day fast? That’s my goal is to be able to go 5 days. I’ve been researching the 40 day water fast, The True North Medical Foundation. Dr. Alan Goldham talks about the benefits they have seen from Alzheimer’s patients. Mind over matter!

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by badbaggerHD View Post
    Joe, how did you feel during and after the 5 day fast? That’s my goal is to be able to go 5 days. I’ve been researching the 40 day water fast, The True North Medical Foundation. Dr. Alan Goldham talks about the benefits they have seen from Alzheimer’s patients. Mind over matter!
    I’ve worked with Alzheimer’s patients for 20 plus years, specifically related to their diet. Maybe he’s talking about early stages, but in middle to late stages, actually getting somebody to eat is a challenge. They lose interest in food. And their mentation definitely does not improve in late Alzheimer’s. I would not put a lot of faith in somebody’s claim to see improvement in late-stage, terminally ill Alzheimer’s patients. I’ve worked with too many to count to believe that.
    __________________________________________________ _______________
    "If God had intended us to drink beer, He would have given us stomachs."
    -David Daye

Quote Originally Posted by badbaggerHD View Post
    During is pretty tough the first couple of days, taking in electrolytes and a proper amount of water really helps. Drink too much water and you will flush all the electrolytes out of your system and will feel loopy. I would do some research and Jason Fung's book, The Complete Guide to Fasting is very, very good. He works with diabetes patients using fasting protocols. There are a lot of studies commented on in the book, so it helps you make an informed decision.

After the fast you will feel incredible. A couple of things to note. Do not eat a "real" meal to break any fast over 48 hours. Drink some bone broth and start with very small amounts of food for a few hours to start up your digestion, otherwise you will be hurting.

One book I read had a really interesting point, does the fasting have healing qualities? I think so, especially when you look at cancer fighting and insulin resistance. But all that aside your body was designed to heal itself. The problem is your body (especially if you live an unhealthy lifestyle) is constantly fighting to keep up, eliminating the toxicity and breaking down all the junk we put in our system.

But when you fast, you give your body a break from a lot of work so it now has resources to devote to taking care of issues that have been lagging. You will also drop a lot of water weight and a good portion of the water weight is related to inflammation which causes joint pain.

There are other considerations of course if you are on medication.

I started with 23 hour fast, then to 36, then to 46, then to 120, then to 168. I also failed several times before I was successful. Your body will adapt very quickly, your mind is the hard part.

YMMV,
    Joe

6. Member
    I’ve done a couple 72 hours, water only. Was Just curious of the results, nothing spectacular. Won’t do it again. I’m also healthy and exercise already.
    -
    I just do one meal a day now to maintain my weight. High protein, low carb around 10:00am and go to bed hungry.
    -
    having a desk job, I’m simply not active enough to eat multiple meals and snack like I used too; without gaining weight.
    -
    on the weekends when I’m more active; I’ll bump up my intake a bit.
    -
    I don’t get into the minutiae and science behind it all. I keep it simple. calories in, calories out. There’s no secret to losing weight. Lifestyle change
    -
    I dropped 30 pounds and kept it off.

7. Member
    I did a 72 hour fast with nothing but liquids. It was pretty brutal and the dreams were surreal.

8. Member
    I've done IF for years now. The benefits are many. Some people do it to for religious reasons, to lose weight, others to lower insulin levels, some to get into ketosis so they can begin burning fat (they become fat adapted). Someone mentioned autophagy already, but there is good evidence that shows this is very healthy as your body begins to cleanse old cells that can become problematic. To enter autophagy it typically requires a fast longer than 24 hours. The longest I've fasted for was 10 days. I work out everyday and alternate between cardio and weights. It's not something you want to do all at once, instead ease into it. Say you eat dinner at 7p, then wake up at 7a and eat breakfast at 8a. You've already fasted for 13 hours! That is where the word breakfast comes from, you're breaking the fast. It's not that difficult to do if you go slow. Some people just eat one meal a day (OMAD). Read about it and understand it prior to passing judgment. The standard American diet is horrible and the food pyramid is all wrong, which has led this country into obesity and type 2 diabetes epidemics. Further, it has led to big pharma making billions off it. Many of the current health issues are easily controlled by proper nutrition (diet) and fasting can be one component to that approach.

2005 Champion 198 DC Elite
    2005 Mercury Optimax-225hp (Serial#1B073011)

9. BBC SPONSOR
    Quote Originally Posted by Perchpro View Post
    No, I don't hate myself.
    Thats good. You shouldn't hate yourself.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by drifter106 View Post
    Curious...why would you want to fast other than for religious reasons?

First inclination...how old you are and your current health status. Is it for weight loss? Personally, I am not overweight and 4 years out from a stem cell transplant. The only reason I would fast would be for religious reasons.....
    Many are doing the fasting (multiple types/levels) today that has nothing to do with religious. Those who are overweight or with certain conditions (such as diabetes) can benefit from it. Look up Dr. Jason Fung. Lots of youtubers use his name, his study, etc. He's one of the early pioneer with sound medical reasoning, real patients, and real data.

I lost 35+ lbs in less than a few months just doing simple intermittent fasting (2 meals a day). My knee stops hurting (obviously cause it now carries a lot less weight), improved blood pressure, etc. Other than having to buy new pants, it feels great.

11. Member
    I’d be willing to bet 6 small healthy meals a day that allows your body to process easier and absorb more effectively is much healthier and more beneficial than fasting hands down. It’s all about moderation, substance, and physical activity. You can starve yourself for a week, sit on your ass all the time and eat a Crap Mack to celebrate.. but the healthy man eats often.. as for the religious fasting might I suggest peyote, or psilocybin for a last meal..

Quote Originally Posted by glock-19 View Post
    Many are doing the fasting (multiple types/levels) today that has nothing to do with religious. Those who are overweight or with certain conditions (such as diabetes) can benefit from it. Look up Dr. Jason Fung. Lots of youtubers use his name, his study, etc. He's one of the early pioneer with sound medical reasoning, real patients, and real data.

I lost 35+ lbs in less than a few months just doing simple intermittent fasting (2 meals a day). My knee stops hurting (obviously cause it now carries a lot less weight), improved blood pressure, etc. Other than having to buy new pants, it feels great.
    I’m not sure you can do that if you are a diabetic. At least not type one. What do you do if your sugar drops?

Quote Originally Posted by 5 BASS ASSASIN View Post
    I’d be willing to bet 6 small healthy meals a day that allows your body to process easier and absorb more effectively is much healthier and more beneficial than fasting hands down. It’s all about moderation, substance, and physical activity. You can starve yourself for a week, sit on your ass all the time and eat a Crap Mack to celebrate.. but the healthy man eats often.. as for the religious fasting might I suggest peyote, or psilocybin for a last meal..
    intermittent fasting is healthy. Not saying your way is not either but there is not only one way. People have to figure out what works best for them.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by juice780 View Post
    I’m not sure you can do that if you are a diabetic. At least not type one. What do you do if your sugar drops?
    I'm diabetic type 2. To my surprise, exactly as Dr. Jason Fung stated in a video I watched, my blood sugar actually increased instead of decreasing. And that's not a bad thing while it was happening. Watch some of his medical explanation to get a better understanding. Pretty fascinating ('cause it works). For type 1, he would suggest doing it under a doctor supervision if one would consider trying.

I did 96 hrs with zero food a couple years ago while doing Keto and IF. Never got hungry and felt great. Could’ve kept going but just decided it was time to eat something and broke it.

Is IF something you can do the rest of life and stay with it? I'm not sure, but any diet should be one you can live with the rest of your life. So many diets are one a one time thing and the data shows a huge majority (like 90% plus) gain more weight back after a year then when they started.

17. Member
    I do intermittent fasting. I've also fasted for seven days with no problem. Still felt great at the end.

Have been zero to low carb for four years and mostly zero carb for the last year and a half. No trouble sticking with this for the rest of my life. Carbs suck.

18. Member
    I would crash and not feel good I can tell when I skip a meal. After a while I get really shakey and weak.
    Praying for a Cure

19. Member
    I have made it 6 hours! Personal best! I don’t over eat very often though with the exception of holidays. Which seem to come back to back these days.

20. Banned
    11 days but I had 33 days under my belt of 'sungazing'

https://charbelmaklouf.wordpress.com...ugh-sungazing/

I've been getting nourished by Sol but the last few days has been overcast. I probably should've waited later in the year?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast