Bluetooth lithium battery monitor

Finally bit the bullet and cashed in on some CLUB points to get some of Bass Pro's rebranded ReLion Lithium Batteries. I like the idea of being able to monitor the SOC via bluetooth or a digital monitor as on the Ionic Batteries. Has anyone installed an external monitor or have any suggestions?

2. Member
    No one is monitoring their batteries that don’t already have a Bluetooth device embedded?

3. Member
    I'm in the process of mounting a Balmar SG200 monitor in my boat. It is a shunt type monitor that measures amps in and amps out to give you a true SOC, which is difficult to to with a voltmeter on lithium batteries.
    It also can be set for different battery chemisties, i.e. AGM, FLA, carbon foam and LiFePo4. It can monitor several battery banks and also reads voltage. It is unique in that it is self learning and can all give you the batteries state of health. As we know, as a battery ages and goes through cycles what is a 100% charge in year 1 may be, say 92% in year 3 and so on.
    A Bluetooth gateway can be added, although at $66 extra. It can be used also to install software updates as they become available.
    The Balmar SG200 isn't cheap at $200, but it's certainly an alternative to the batteries with the built in Bluetooth.
    We still have 3 to 5 weeks of ice on our lakes here in the North, but I'll post a review after I've used it a while.

Mark

4. Member
    I tried this one first. I don't use a smart phone so wasn't able to see the status of battery unless I was home and using my iPad. I returned this one.
    https://www.amazon.com/Victron-Smart...s%2C193&sr=8-3

This one has a display but haven't used.
    https://www.amazon.com/Victron-BMV-7...xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

I'm using this style now, one for my 24v trolling motor and one for my electronics batteries and very satisfied. I didn't mount the display where it is visible, I left the display in the compartment with the batteries and just lift the lid to view.
    https://www.amazon.com/AiLi-Voltmete...s%2C193&sr=8-6

Hope this helps.

5. Member
    I just bought the AILI from Amazon also but do not have it programmed yet. Not really a fan of the shunt in the bilge it’s not large but not small either. T shunt is inside that yellow piece of foam in the picture.
    Attached Images Attached Images

6. Member
    That is normally on the battery hooked to the - terminal with a buss bar and the rest of the load is hooked to the buss bar. It should be above the water line. Personally I would not use foam as it could keep the shunt damp/wet and promote corrosion. Is it on the starter battery or what? That is for a single battery, but in a TM, multi battery bank it could represent the banks Amps. Bob
    Tell me where has a slow movin' once quick draw outlaw got to go

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtyeggroll View Post
    No one is monitoring their batteries that don’t already have a Bluetooth device embedded?
    The first link given for the smartshunt is an excellent way to do that but it is $130 per battery. I have seen other bluetooth options online as well. I don't have bluetooth but a cheap meter $40 with a shunt. Thats all I need. The smartshunt is Victron so it is a good piece of gear. Bob

8. Member
    It is on the 24 volt trolling motor lithium batteries 80AH and they said I could use it for that application. If the water gets that high I will have quite a few problems to deal with.

9. Member
    High enough, but the foam can get splashed or just hold dampness from the environment.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fishon396 View Post
    It is on the 24 volt trolling motor lithium batteries 80AH and they said I could use it for that application. If the water gets that high I will have quite a few problems to deal with.
    It will work but not tell you what each battery is at as far as charge. I am just using mine for an indicator as well. If I have a problem I will have to check out each battery to find the problem one.

11. Member
    Yes it’s no help on the individual batteries and I am not sure how useful It will even be. I Can take the foam off I’m just used to keeping my negative and positive battery cables covered that’s why I did that.

12. Member
    Covering connections are a great idea. Heat shrink or there are so many different size and shape terminal boots that you could look for days. As you eluded to the bilge is a tough place for electronics. Bob

13. Member
    Hmm gotta be a better solution.

14. Member
    Not to take away from your recent purchase however my new Ionics Bluetooth monitoring system is worth looking at if you end up buying any new batteries. My cellphone connects to the battery and you get SOC (State of Charge as a % of total capacity), total battery capacity, voltage, current drain or charge current, battery temp, Number of charge cycles, and current battery status in terms of capacity. It is quite impressive and really summarizes exactly what the current capacity is and the overall condition of your battery. I have 4 new battteries and the apps shows all 4 and you can simply chose which battery you want status on.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidAnderson View Post
    Not to take away from your recent purchase however my new Ionics Bluetooth monitoring system is worth looking at if you end up buying any new batteries. My cellphone connects to the battery and you get SOC (State of Charge as a % of total capacity), total battery capacity, voltage, current drain or charge current, battery temp, Number of charge cycles, and current battery status in terms of capacity. It is quite impressive and really summarizes exactly what the current capacity is and the overall condition of your battery. I have 4 new battteries and the apps shows all 4 and you can simply chose which battery you want status on.
    Yea I got my batteries for free. So I’m good.