Lower unit pressure test

2006 225 Optimax? Serial# 1B262770

Hi everyone,

I have decided to take on more on my own maintenance as I just can't wait on my dealer. And after losing the port side lower last season, I want to take more control of this work. My question is, what is the correct max pressure for testing, and how long should it hold pressure and at what range?

I have tested other units in the past just to find leaks. Usually, 14psi max and made sure it would hold no less than 12psi for 10 minutes. Usually test in three steps and I rotate and wiggle the shafts throughout. But, I don't know if that is correct with my current engines. I have two 225's.

And unrelated, but I have never sent out my rails/ injectors for cleaning. Is this a routine maintenance item? How often should it be done and are there any recommend places to have it done? I am in the Seattle area.

Thank you!

Dave

2. Member
    Can't comment on the seal issue, but I sent my my injectors, rails, VST etc from my '99 EFI to Donn Weed for new carbon fiber reeds and service. I am so glad I did. Two injectors were barely working, eventually would fail, and lean out would have been disastrous. http://www.europeanmarine.org/injectorservice.html

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jerzia View Post
    Can't comment on the seal issue, but I sent my my injectors, rails, VST etc from my '99 EFI to Donn Weed for new carbon fiber reeds and service. I am so glad I did. Two injectors were barely working, eventually would fail, and lean out would have been disastrous. http://www.europeanmarine.org/injectorservice.html
    +1 for Integrity Injection aka Don Weed.

If you don't have one, you might seriously consider ordering an OEM service manual for your engines - worth every penny.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    100% agree that a factory service manual is the BEST investment you can make. Especially important in the gearcase (as you'll see how many specialty tools are required even for resealing).

Normally pressure test these at 3 pressures, a low, mid-range and top pressure (example, 2, 6, 12 psi). Normally if you've seen no drop in pressure and noted no "bubbles" when spraying soapy water at all seals and rotating shafts- it's good.

Never exceed 14 psi, especially on this gearcase.

Note: There should be NO (zero) lube in the case when pressure-testing.

In regards to the fuel system/injectors, it's a wise investment. Before you get going down that road, let's have a direct conversation regarding timing and limiting your down-time as much as possible (call or email).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

5. Member
    Thanks for the info folks.

E-mail sent Don.