Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Our area betting hit again

Last 2 weeks we had 2 ice storms and trees down everywhere taking out power lines. Now our area is hit with flooding.

2. Member
    Should say getting hit. Fat fingers

3. Member

4. Member
    One thing about Appalachia, we know how to handle hard times. Most folks can generally help themselves and not have to wait and depend on the govt. to do for them.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by spinningreel View Post
    One thing about Appalachia, we know how to handle hard times. Most folks can generally help themselves and not have to wait and depend on the govt. to do for them.
    strong people_ amen

6. Proud American Union local16's Avatar
    That sux on the flooding. Hope it’s not bad. Comes a time when everyone needs a little help.

Dale Sinclair original

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by yatesville88fan View Post
    Should say getting hit. Fat fingers
    Not fat, just frozen.
    1987 Ranger 373V 150 Yamaha proV still going strong.

8. Member
    One caveat...the Appalachian counties are some of the highest percentage of SNAP recipients in the country. So maybe not factually correct but I get what you mean in spirit. Tough people, hard times.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by August west View Post
    One caveat...the Appalachian counties are some of the highest percentage of SNAP recipients in the country. So maybe not factually correct but I get what you mean in spirit. Tough people, hard times.
    Show some class, your day will come.

Stay safe...hope it gets better soon

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hydrasport80 View Post
    Geez sensitive I was just stating a fact about relying on the government. Sometimes you have to do that when push comes to shove. I have the upmost respect for people in that region. I feel their pain of a depressed economy due to a lot of things out of their control

IMG_20210301_163731009.jpg
    Come up the Charleston. We may be able to get to the dock.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by August west View Post
    You are correct. I can't deny that, I see it daily. SNAP, Heating Assistance, etc. Poverty is abundant here, mostly due to low education levels. Unfortunately the ones who get college degrees, often leave the area for better job opportunities in larger towns.

14. Member
    You are correct. I can't deny that, I see it daily. SNAP, Heating Assistance, etc. Poverty is abundant here, mostly due to low education levels. Unfortunately the ones who get college degrees, often leave the area for better job opportunities in larger towns.
    It’s sad, I get stuck in the YouTube wormhole sometimes about Appalachia because the region fascinates me. The misguided approaches our policy leaders have towards coal has been a nail in the coffin of a lot of the region. It’s sad. I hope something positive happens to that region economically but at the same time I hope it doesn’t lead to development of the land cause it’s beautiful.
    if you are bored YouTube some Appalachian documentaries by a channel called soft white underbelly.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hydrasport80 View Post
    since we are classifying, I believe I’ll go one step further and agree with both statements.. when TRULY hard times present themselves, the ones who are culled will be those who “snapped” under the pressure of self reliance... and those who persevere will represent the true heart of Appalachia..handouts don’t change the sands of times..

16. Member
    Appalachia has its fair share of problems, but it also has some truly beautiful people at its heart. Very deeply religious people, a region where the Old, sickly, dying, take precedent over all others in the pecking order. Our people here can't offer much in the way of material things, but to get to know them for who they are is a treasure. I know Im bias, I must admit to be perfectly honest.

17. Member
    Wow. I could really comment on the not so desirable people in other states, but discretion is the better part of valor.

18. Member
    Have lived in Johnson County and Pike County KY. Drank a lot of 3.2 beer in WV, yup I'm old as I don't think WV limits beer to 3.2 anymore. I now live in the mountains of East TN. So I understand the folks that live in the coalfields. I worked in a deep mine for a brief time. Say what you want about the people but to understand this culture you'd have to walk a mile in their shoes.

Lived and traveled a lot and each region has different kinks in it's armor. Good people live everywhere as well as the not so good.
    The youtube stuff about mountain people is not about average folks. You can dig up the underbelly of anywhere if that is what you want to do.

But flooding is flooding no matter the location. A few prayers might be in order if you're the praying kind.
    Last edited by Whopperstopper; 03-01-2021 at 10:45 PM.
    We are all born ignorant but one must work really hard to remain stupid---Ben Franklin

sorry y'all are dealing with that

Scooter: Nov 1998-Jul 2011
    Otis: Oct 2010-Feb 2017

20. Member
    It’s been terrible here as well. There are now huge potholes all over the roads. They just had 8 cars in a row sidelined by a pothole in Nashville on the local news. The River should crest this morning after 6+ inches of rain Sunday.

Hopefully you get the good weather the rest of the week for cleanup.

Read Hillbilly Elegy for a great introspective of the area. The movie didn’t go anywhere near as in-depth.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast