How do tell a reels speed?

I was going through a bunch of reels that I don't use much any more looking for a slower speed reel to use for chatterbaits and found a Calcutta Conquest 200DC. I remember it being a decent reel but I have no idea what speed it is, no markings on the reel to tell. It has to be about 10 years old.

2. Member
    Make a black mark on the spool, crank reel slowly and count the revolutions the spool makes for one complete turn of handle
    Bill Perry
    Zwolle, LA (Toledo Bend)
    bpicinc_2000@yahoo.com
    2001 ZX-250 VMAX 225. HDS-9 Carbon, HDS-7Carbon, 3D Sonar, HB 998c hd si, Active Target, MG Tour Pro 36v, 12" Slide Master
    USN, USS Newport News CA-148

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bpicinc View Post
    Make a black mark on the spool, crank reel slowly and count the revolutions the spool makes for one complete turn of handle
    This

4. Member
    Well that is just way to easy

5. Member
    Wouldn't you rather know how much line was picked up rather than how many times the spool turned?

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PSchueller View Post
    Wouldn't you rather know how much line was picked up rather than how many times the spool turned?
    PI*Diameter towards the top of the spool * number of revolutions = line per turn
    Fish have fins, they swim

7. Member
    My point was if you are going to measure something I think it is much more useful to measure line pick up than revolutions. It is also easier to measure than filled spool diameter and exact (to the tenth like real gear ratios) number of revolutions.

8. Scraps
    Quote Originally Posted by PJ-Rohlf View Post
    PI*Diameter towards the top of the spool * number of revolutions = line per turn
    3.14 x spool diameter x number of spool revolutions counted = IPT, inches per turn of the handle. You can take the spool out to measure the diameter, or just eyeball it with a small ruler. If she's 10 yrs old might be no more than 6:1.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

9. Member
    I'd rather just put some tape on the line, turn the handle, and measure how far it went. To each their own I guess.

10. Banned
    let about 8 ft of line out, attach a sinker to line, and measure how far sinker moves, on 1 complete revolution of a handle turn. That will give you IPT (inches per turn) which is the "real" speed of your reel. Ratio speed can vary on each reel & manufacturer, so don't rely on that.
    low ratio: 21"-25"
    mid ratio: 26"-29"
    high ratio: 30"+

11. Scraps
    Quote Originally Posted by PSchueller View Post
    I'd rather just put some tape on the line, turn the handle, and measure how far it went. To each their own I guess.
    This is actually what I would do, spool it up and just measure the IPT.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD