League City, TX/Lake Sam Rayburn (Rayburn Country)

Trying to figure this 2 stroke 250 proxs to 4 stroke Merc or Suzuki

I've been kicking around putting a 4 stroke on the back of my 2014 921. Not that I need to, just wnat to. I will more than likley be moving to Oklahoma in another year once I retire. Will be close to large metoropolitan city so dealers should be a problem either brand. Based on what I think of the dealers around Lake Sam Rayburn, I doubt I would buy a Merc. I'd buy a Suzuki and drive the hour and half to Beaumont.

I've read in the Merc. secton, a post whats needed to some extent to swap a to a 4 stroke. The hot foot and motor monitor is not clear. I have no idea if the monitor for my 2 stroke will work or not. Guess I better post in the Merc section but still trying to get enough understanding to ask all the questions I need. I have no idea if the 24 and 25 pitch props I have for my two stroke will work on a new for stroke or not. I think the Merc 4 stroke Pro xs is about 19k ish.

Same for the Suzuki. I guess the 2021 250 SS have the new lower unit 2:0 ration or something to that effect, at least that what I thought the specs said. Doesn't seem to be a lot of people that on the Suzuki forum, I hope to get a better response here. They must not break down to often. I bet someone on here has a 2021 250 SS with the new lower unit on the back of a bass boat. The thing about the Suzuki, I think its drive by wire. Not sure what all I need and what eles besides the motor you have to have to turn right or left LOL. I think 250 SS go for about 16k, but that just motor in a box from what I understand. I need to call a dealer once I get a little more up to speed. If I call one, it won't be on here on the coast, they would be higher than a grocery bill!!!.

I've read what on both merc and Suzuki motor forums and googled a fair amount but I can't a good picture of what I'm in for if I swap. Not sure what my two stroke 250 pro xs with low hrs is worth of if they sell.

My gut tells me no matter what you put on the back going from 2 to 4 stroke, about the only thing common that used is the boat!!!. Everything else has to be new.

Whoevers got the skinny or has any good piece of info jump in. I need all the help I can get.

Thanks Billy

2. Member
    I was able to use my mercmonitor when I switched from a 2 stroke to a 4. You will probably need to go to a 23 pitch prop, maybe a 24.
    GETFISHED !!!

3. Member
    Thanks much, the monitor info I’d a start. I think my props are all 24 and 25.

thanks Billy

4. Member
    The Merc V8 4S a buddy had on a 520L was slinging a 23 pitch. The 4S needs to turn up rpms.

5. Member
    How far away is the closest Suzuki dealer for parts or repair?

6. Member
    And how is Suzuki on getting parts shipped?
    Merc may or not be the best, that's personal opinion and I only have one ordered so I can't speak to it. The dealer assured me that their parts are readily available, and that's a big deal. Was not always the case with my previous outboard.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveBrabec View Post
    How far away is the closest Suzuki dealer for parts or repair?

7. mikesxpress
    Billy if you currently have an Optimax 250 Pro XS and you want to repower to the 4.6L V8 250hp Pro XS you keep your existing controls for use with the CMS (conventional mid section) V8. You can get a good idea on propeller selection off the OEM brand BBC boat board as these V8's have been out 3 years now and someone with your model has already done the testing. Mercury is offering a repower rebate right now. If you order on-line from Jaco's they will also apply the current Mercury promotion discount. They also had the best price for the Mercury extended warranty. Ship to your local dealer for rigging. My cost here in Virginia July 2018 was $400 to hang it. Painless.

8. Member
    I switched from a Optimax to a Suzuki 250SS a few years ago and you will have to get new controls and gauges, but your hot foot will stay. In regards to the lower unit, the 250SS always had a 2.08:1 gear case, the 150SS and 200SS went to a 2.00:1 gear ratio on their lower units a few years ago. The major downfall of Suzuki has been getting it propped for top end speed, but there's been some progress by running either a 27P Solas Scorpion or even a PT PROP BRVR4 28P Prop has me running low to mid 70s on my Lynx. If you have questions about Suzuki, PM your number and we'll chat.
    2018 Bass Cat Lynx w/Suzuki 250SS.

9. Member
    Mike,

Good info. If I had a new Merc shipped to either of the Merc dealers local to me they would tell me to go pack sand, cause I didnt buy from them. I have to go out of my area to get my Merc worked on. One of the dealers didnt want to sell me a battery couple of years back, but they finally did. Trying to get service on a Merc on the back of a Phoenix at a Triton Dealer is not alwys easy. Same for the Ranger place next door.

Both my neighbors also run Phoenix, they have the same problem with both merc dealers. One of my neighbors found a Merc dealer in Lufkin that worked on his new 4 stroke a while back for something he needed. 45 min away so may be an option.

This whole dealer issues is why I will take a look at something other than Merc. I will more than likely be moving, but not for a while.

With all that said, I just got off the phone with Jaco Marine, really nice people. I also spoke with a small Merc dealer no to far from me that agreed to Rig a motor if i had it shipped but didnt have a price off the top of their head so this might be easier than I though. That small Merc dealer that said they would rig a motor if I had it shipped to them was also a Suzuki dealer too. He said he perfered the Suzuki and seemed to know quite a bit about both but he couldn't get close on price for either brand.

The lady I spoke with at Jaco said 2 stroke motor like mine with low hrs sell pretty easy.

Thanks Billy

Might consider a Yamaha, Suks would be totally unacceptable to me. I prefer Mercs though and do not depend on dealer networks as I do all my own work
    Thank You Leon Pugh

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by WWDIII View Post
    Mike,

Good info. If I had a new Merc shipped to either of the Merc dealers local to me they would tell me to go pack sand, cause I didnt buy from them. I have to go out of my area to get my Merc worked on. One of the dealers didnt want to sell me a battery couple of years back, but they finally did. Trying to get service on a Merc on the back of a Phoenix at a Triton Dealer is not alwys easy. Same for the Ranger place next door.

Both my neighbors also run Phoenix, they have the same problem with both merc dealers. One of my neighbors found a Merc dealer in Lufkin that worked on his new 4 stroke a while back for something he needed. 45 min away so may be an option.

This whole dealer issues is why I will take a look at something other than Merc. I will more than likely be moving, but not for a while.

With all that said, I just got off the phone with Jaco Marine, really nice people. I also spoke with a small Merc dealer no to far from me that agreed to Rig a motor if i had it shipped but didnt have a price off the top of their head so this might be easier than I though. That small Merc dealer that said they would rig a motor if I had it shipped to them was also a Suzuki dealer too. He said he perfered the Suzuki and seemed to know quite a bit about both but he couldn't get close on price for either brand.

The lady I spoke with at Jaco said 2 stroke motor like mine with low hrs sell pretty easy.

Thanks Billy
    Mercury dealer will need the G3 to properly set up a new 4s. Shop rate at 3-5 hours to install new 4s with your existing controls.

12. Member
    Whats a G3.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by WWDIII View Post
    Whats a G3.
    Mercury laptop with setup software for the new 4 strokes.