Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Skeeter VS Bass Cat

Shopping for a new boat and I believe I've narrowed it down to two:

2018 Skeeter ZX250
    Yamaha 250 - 25 hours
    Ultrex
    Lowrance Elite 12 TI & 9 TI at bow (I prefer birds)

2018 Bass Cat Eyra
    Yamaha 250 - 250 hours
    Utlrex
    Helix units at bow and dash
    Kicker stereo system

Price is pretty much the same for both of these boats. Looking for some pros/cons/opinions of each as I have never been in boats this new

Imo between these 2 choices I’d go with the Skeeter all day. I’m big on low hours on used motors.

3. Banned
    They are really different boats, hard to compare IMO. Just hours alone isn't enough.

4. Member
    I'm a huge fan of Cats, but if they are the same price I'd buy the bug. At 25 hours the motor is barely broken in.

Too easy, Skeeter!

6. Proud American Union local16's Avatar
    I agree that the lower hours on the Skeeter is where I’d go

Dale Sinclair original

7. Member
    That is nearly too few hours IMO. Too few can cause as many problems as too many.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by irbf30 View Post
    That is nearly too few hours IMO. Too few can cause as many problems as too many.
    What????
    2019 Skeeter ZX250

Check out my YouTube!! Thanks! https://www.youtube.com/user/WIHunter100/videos

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by irbf30 View Post
    Yea would have to know why so few hours on the Skeeter. Can u get a test drive ride on them?

10. Member
    Gas setting in tank and motor for 3 years can cause a lot of problems.

11. Moderator
    Basscat. The Skeeter isn't their "premium" line and it's clear the engine has been sitting which isn't good. I assume the warranty on the engines is the same or at least very close. The cat is WAY faster, built better, better customer service, better trailer, better ride. Only negative is it's skinnier.

12. Member
    Not if the seller lost a job due to covid or other financial problems. My current boat is a 1996 200ZX that I bought in 2000 and had 6hrs on the motor. The guy I bought it from started a business after relocation and had no time to fish. I asked to take it to MY mechanic and he let me keep the boat a week without anything other than a copy of my DL. My mech offered me $4500 more than I paid for it on the spot. Said he could easily make $5000 over what he offered me(at 6hrs the boat/motor was new and still under warranty). The only thing I've done to boat or motor in the last 20yrs is replace the impeller every 1-2yrs depending on use and had the driver/passenger seats recovered last year. I wouldn't hesitate to buy a low hour motor if it had warranty and the seller would let me have the boat checked out.

13. Member
    Really 250 hours isn't a lot anyways, so I would personally go with the cat.
    2001 Champion 187 Yamaha 175
    12' Talons, Lithiums and Garmins
    All pulled by a Hemi

That year 2018 ZX250 is pretty loaded. Only difference from same year 2018 FX21 is the ZX has switches instead of touch pad, metal trailer fenders instead of fiberglass and no hydraulic jackplate unless buyer bought one. Also only the casting deck is padded as opposed to whoke front deck.
    That year ZX may have team deck configuration and should have came with at least one Power Pole. It is not a stripped down version. It should have blowers in hull to dry inside of boat and Oxygenater in livewell. Its not entry level. Its loaded.

I have absolutely nothing negative to say about Cat. Their reputation is impeccable. I have not owned one but been in several. Both would be boats I would proudly own.
    Last edited by Mark Perry; 03-01-2021 at 02:20 PM.

15. Member
    I'd drive and fish out of them to see which one you liked best... IMHO, the Skeeter will fish better and the BassCat will run faster (and smoother in rougher water). I've owned a Skeeter ZX, it was average to slightly above average build quality IMHO. Any BassCat I've been in or around has been substantially nicer and built better IMHO. My current (and previous) boat is a Phoenix.

16. Member
    I say you can't go wrong with either one. Which one has the colors that you like?

17. Member
    Test drive both, buy the one you like. These are two completely different boats, ones wider than the other, compartment layout is completely different, handling will be different. Both are good boats but buy the one that suits you.

18. Bob G's pool boy
    They are very different boats and the 25 hours on the motor concerns me more than 250 in three years. Boats need to be used or stuff breaks. Not sure why that is but it seems to work that way. If I were using motor hours as some sort of tiebreaker, I’d want to know and be sure of the low number in the one.

The rest is up to you. I know enough about both lines to tell you that you should drive and fish from both before you decide.
    Last edited by billspence; 03-01-2021 at 02:17 PM. Reason: Bob G was the first squad road guard in boot camp

"I am going to Eufala to just idle around"
    -Haus

***NEW*** 2023 Ford F150 XLT Super Crew 2.7L Ecoboost FX4 cause I am such a baller.
    2021 Phoenix 721/ Mercury 250 ProXS 4s with a bent ass trailer
    HDS16 live- Solix15 : Console
    HDS16 live W/AT - Garmin 126 W/ lvs34 - Solix12/ 360 : Bow
    Dual 10' Blades/ Lowrance Ghost/ Bobs Hydraulic Plate
    225ah cranking / 100ah trolling. Ionic/Relion lithium

Instagram @brettcarnright. Teamviewer: bCarnrite@33

Quote Originally Posted by billspence View Post
    They are very different boats and the 25 hours on the motor concerns me more than 250 in three years. Boats need to be used or stuff breaks. Not sure why that is but it seems to work that way.
    What stuff breaks if it’s not being used?

It is a tough one. I am BCB fanboy so would go for the Eyra but that of course is “just me.” Are both boats garaged kept?

As far as motors go, neither one is a bad choice. I would be a little concerned about the lightly used motor, particularly was it broken in properly. Is it making oil? Any maintenance or warranty records on the one with 250 hours?

A couple of things for you to think about are the layout of each. Which one do you prefer? You already said you prefer HB units and Helix units are much better than Elite units IMO....yes, I have had both. How are the trailers with the Skeeter? BCB trailers are hard to beat. Also, I know BCB uses a vinylester resin to virtually eliminate the threat of hull blisters. I do not know what Skeeter uses, if anything. Finally, you will get a lifetime hull warranty with BCB. I believe Skeeter does not do that for second owners. 3rd owners get nothing.

Either choice will get you a great running, top of the line boat!
    Last edited by 06 SB; 03-01-2021 at 02:31 PM.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast