Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
  1. Member
    I don’t know enough about both of these boats to make a recommendation, but to be worried about the low hours on the motor as new as an 2018 would not bother me a bit. Definitely the lower hours gives the motor an advantage. It’s not like the boats been sitting for 5 or 10 years, those low hours would be very attractive to me, but I don’t know anything about the boats which would be a heavy consideration. The hours on both are low. Good Luck!
    Last edited by itsahog; 03-02-2021 at 11:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by irbf30 View Post
    That is nearly too few hours IMO. Too few can cause as many problems as too many.

agree 100%. How long did that SHO go with out running?
    Bass Cat Caracal STS / Mercury 300 ProXS
    Jayco Northpoint 377 RLBH
    GMC Denali Ultimate DRW
    #ChargeOn #HereWeGo

3. Member
    Skeeter, can't stand cats

4. Member
    I have owned skeeters and bass cats. I found the skeeter a softer ride in rough water as the bass cat hit very hard. Bass cat faster and factory service was better. If I was running calmer waters I would but the cat. If fishing large lakes I would buy the skeeter.

5. Member
    I’ve owned both brands. I have nothing bad to say about Skeeter, as I enjoyed both Skeeter models that I owned. That said, the quality of Bass Cat is impressive. I don’t think that you can go wrong either way.
    Craig Williams - Zeeland , Mi '​97 Bass Cat Jaguar / Evinrude 225

6. Member
    I bought a 2006 in 2017 with 58 on the motor . The man lived in Wisconsin and fished a week every year . And all the lakes around him were real small and usually idled and dropped the trolling motor . So far everything is good .

Very different boats. SUV vs a Sports Car. Ride & Decide only you can make that decision
    Kevin R. Brown
    2020 Bass Cat Cougar
    2020 250 Mercury Pro XS 4-Stroke
    Mega Live & Mega 360
    Ionic Lithum Batteries
    1999 Bass Cat Jaguar
    99 Mercury 250efi

Quote Originally Posted by I.P. Freely View Post
    What stuff breaks if it’s not being used?
    Exactly, lot of ignorant posts on this one. My current boat was 11 years old when I bought it and it had 56 hours on the mercury smart craft meter. It looked and actually smelled new, zero problems cause it wasn't used and beat to shit. No brainer here, Skeeter.

9. Member
    One of the best motors I’ve had (225 Opti) was bought a little over two years old with 12 hours. The original owner lived on a real small lake up north. It had just came out of break in when we put the computer on it. I should have drained the gas, but it was under warranty and ran fine so I simply topped off with premium and ran that tank out. No issues with that one in the seven years I owned it.

I find most bass boat owners fix stuff when it breaks. The Opti was expensive to maintain to manufacture recommendations.

I change fluids myself on the current little four stroke. I took it to the dealer for the three year service. People here on BBC said I was nuts for paying the price of that service. If I ever sell it I bet I get my money back. People like seeing service records when buying used.

Most 4S motors call for a valve adjustment check. How often are you supposed to check that on the Yamaha? I’d imagine the motor with 275 hours is due, or close?

10. Member
    All of you posting great luck with a low hour motor bought the boat from someone who cared about it and took care of it. Lots of hardly users don't. Again, I'd buy from the better owner. If they are at a dealer I'd assume both were treated poorly as you have nothing else to go on.

11. Member
    At 25 hours there hasn't been wear on anything at all, basically even if the owner just broke it in and then treated it like crap, he didn't have time to mess anything up. The problems with sitting for too long are problems that should be addressed, but take so little effort. Tell the dealer to suck the tanks dry, run some premium fuel with some additive to clean the system and go. This hasn't sat dormant for 10 years, it is a 3 year old motor.

That being said, 250 hrs doesn't scare me personally either.

12. Member
    these two boats couldn't be more different. i would pick the skeeter cause of low hours and its one of the best boats from a fish ability standpoint

13. Member
    25 hours for me.

14. Member
    .....................CAT

15. Banned
    Bought a 2016 last summer with .2 hours on it. Guy bought it had health problems and the boat never left his barn till I bought it. Don't think twice go with the low hours and buy a extended warranty.

16. Member
    I haven't owned either brand boat. I'm sure that they would both be great choices. Personally, I like the low hour option and would base my decision on that alone if I was considering these two.

17. Member
    I've owned both brands and enjoyed each. The differences would be too subjective for me to make a rec. I would decide by running both and looking at layout and add ons.

It's neck and neck on clear recommendations:

Skeeter: 12
    BCB: 15

Who's going to win? LOL!!

Quote Originally Posted by jag9624 View Post
    Very different boats. SUV vs a Sports Car. Ride & Decide only you can make that decision
    A 1990’s looking Chevy Camaro Iroc -Z with the driver rocking a mullet or a Cadillac Escalade. Hmmmmm LOL

What exactly does “fishability” mean? Is is the deck size? While BCB makes some boats with huge decks the Eyra isn’t one of them for sure but it’s not exactly small either. I just don’t get the “fishability” comments. The Eyra is extremely maneuverable on the trolling motor and I can get in and out of some very tight spaces, can get in to some very shallow water, it also slides off stumps extremely well. So as far as “fishability” I guess it depends on what kind of fishing you do. I’m not bashing anything I honestly don’t know what they term fishability exactly means.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast