Thread: Ice in Culver

Ice in Culver

Anywhere I can get ice reports for Maxinkuckee? Got off the weekend of March 11th and want to take the boat out. Wasn’t sure when normal ice out is for there. Temps in the 50’s this week should make quick work if the ice but not sure.

I suspect ice will be gone this sunday or so. I'm a little south of culver, and the ponds I looked at yesterday were open around the edges. Depending on wind and rain they should be free this week. I'm hoping to get the boat out sunday and go fishing. Send me a pm sunday and I'll let you know the conditons here in wabash.
    "It's even, but it ain't settled. Let's settle it." Fast Eddie
    I still can't believe they actually won...Cubs Fans Everywhere

3. Indiana Bass Club Moderator billius's Avatar
    I'll see if I can get in touch with my nephew, he lives very close to Culver, his wife teaches at the Academy there.
    Bill Gard
    Richmond, Indiana
    2015 BassCat Caracal/225ProXs
    TEAM SHERM'S MARINE
    Of course I talk to myself...sometimes I need expert advice.

4. Indiana Bass Club Moderator billius's Avatar
    Just talked to my nephew. He said there were people ice fishing on Maxi yesterday. However, he said that with the higher temps, he felt that it might be open this weekend. He said he won't get over to the lake until tomorrow or Friday, so he will have more info then.
    Bill Gard
    Richmond, Indiana
    TEAM SHERM'S MARINE

Quote Originally Posted by billius View Post
    Just talked to my nephew. He said there were people ice fishing on Maxi yesterday. However, he said that with the higher temps, he felt that it might be open this weekend. He said he won't get over to the lake until tomorrow or Friday, so he will have more info then.
    People are nuts getting on ice right now. I used to do it, had to use boards to reach it.

6. Member
    Thanks guys, I appreciate the info. Definitely seems a little crazy to be out there right now, but I guess some guys are just real die hards with it.

7. Indiana Bass Club Moderator billius's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cubswin View Post
    People are nuts getting on ice right now. I used to do it, had to use boards to reach it.
    I agree Joe, I used to go out on the ice and drag a jon boat with me. I'd sit in the boat and drill holes to fish. Of course you do need to have a rope so you could tie off to something on the bank, in case the boat broke through. I was a lot younger and a lot dumber back then.
    Bill Gard
    Richmond, Indiana
    TEAM SHERM'S MARINE

8. Indiana Bass Club Moderator billius's Avatar
    Just talked to my nephew again. The north end of Maxi is open. The south end where the ramp is, is locked up with some pretty thick ice. No way to launch right now. By the way the ice shanties are off the lake.

Drove around some saturday the 6th, most of the lakes had some open water but still had ice as well. I'm pretty sure ice will be gone most every where in Indiana by tuesday. All the ponds I saw are free, and I drove up just south of warsaw.
    "It's even, but it ain't settled. Let's settle it." Fast Eddie
    I still can't believe they actually won...Cubs Fans Everywhere

10. Member
    The lakes around Syracuse are still iced over pretty good. I would imagine by weeks end that won't be the case. Went and fished the river Saturday because of the ice.

11. Member
    Thanks guys. Hoping to head there tomorrow. Gonna chance it with the ice. Gotta be something around there that’s fully open even if Maxinkuckee isn’t.

Quote Originally Posted by Peach1303 View Post
    Thanks guys. Hoping to head there tomorrow. Gonna chance it with the ice. Gotta be something around there that’s fully open even if Maxinkuckee isn’t.
    Lakes in MI are open, been 50-70 all week.