2016 Mercury 250 Pro XS- Price?

I have a 2016 Mercury 250 pro xs, the warranty has run out, it has a torque master lower unit, I have had zero issues with motor, cosmetically it is 9/10 and it has approximately 250 hours on it. I am wanting to upgrade to a 4 stroke and my question is does anyone have an idea of what my motor is worth or how I can find out so I can sale it myself?
    2022 Bullet XRD
    250 Mercury Pro XS
    PHILIPPIANS 4:13

2. Member
    It's worth around $10,000 on a good day. These are a dime a dozen right now everybody wanting a 4 stroke for no other reason then just to have it. This has killed the Pro XS 250 2 stroke value. If you really want the new 4 stroke just take a little hit on the old engine and move on. This is what I did back in 2012 sold my perfectly good running 250 EFI for a new Pro XS 250 never did have second thoughts after either.
    04 521VX 250 Pro XS
    14 521C 250 Pro XS

3. Member
    Agree with the above mentioned as far as market being flooded with them. Price wise, people in my opinion at least and trying to recoup a large portion of their cost for the 4 stroke and the value just isn't there. That is why when a install is done, dealer/installer doesn't want the motor, no value to them in regards to resell or what a dealer would offer the owner.

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    If you would, please take a moment to review the Announcements at the top of the Forum, and be sure to provide the Required Info (serial number) when posting. Thanks!

Watch some of the engines selling in the "Motors for Sale" Forum. That will give you a general idea.

If this one has no Warranty or Product Protection remaining, that does make it a bit more difficult to get "top dollar".

Nothing close to $10K, more than likely considerably less.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

I’m considering doing the same with my 17 and it has the platinum warranty until December 2021. I’m thinking realistically $7000-$8000 max. I’ve got 310 hours on mine, lower unit (Mercury OEM) has maybe 120 hours on.

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by C130 View Post
    I’m considering doing the same with my 17 and it has the platinum warranty until December 2021. I’m thinking realistically $7000-$8000 max. I’ve got 310 hours on mine, lower unit (Mercury OEM) has maybe 120 hours on.
    Keep in mind that "Platinum" isn't "Warranty". "Platinum" is a Service Contract (Product Protection Plan).

You're probably in the ballpark, based on what I've seen (and assuming the engine is in good condition).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Keep in mind that "Platinum" isn't "Warranty". "Platinum" is a Service Contract (Product Protection Plan).

You're probably in the ballpark, based on what I've seen (and assuming the engine is in good condition).
    Guess I don’t know the difference, so what is the difference between a “service contract” and a “warranty”? Obviously the wording is different but not sure what the technical difference is. I guess getting down to “legal” terms is the difference since it’s not the original warranty that came with the engine.
    Last edited by C130; 03-06-2021 at 05:23 PM.

8. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    "Warranty" is the coverage provided by the manufacturer with the new product when purchased as an end-consumer, and registered. In the case of a Mercury Production Outboard engine used for "pleasure" usage, that's a 3-Year Warranty, and covers virtually the entire engine against defects in materials or workmanship (excluding maintenance items, abuse, neglect, modification, etc).

The above is the only term or coverage that is "Warranty".

Anything you obtain or purchase outside of this period is handled under a Service Contract, and is a written contract between the company and you, that they will cover specific components against defects. These are also referred to as "Product Protection Plans". Which components are (or are not) covered are spelled out in the written contract, as well as other pertinent terms or conditions.

9. Member
    Anyone know where there are any 4 strokes for sale ?