2018 Pro XS 150hp Thermostat removal

<2B578744>

I would like to remove the thermostat to check for proper operation because even with 90 degree water the smartcraft never reads beyond the 130's in temp. I don't know what the operating temperature should be, can someone inform me please? During winter (50's for water temp) it stays in the mid 120's at full throttle and drops down into the teens during idle. It has about 215 hours on it. Can I remove and replace the thermostat without a new gasket? It's a 2018 Merc 150hp ProXS
    Last edited by EuropeanAM; 03-05-2021 at 12:22 PM.
    2000 TR186
    2018 150 Pro XS 4 Stroke
    6in jack plate-24" Fury3

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    2B758744 does not match your description.

On the 150 Fourstroke, the thermostat is mounted directly atop the powerhead. Quite simple to replace- recommend ordering a new thermostat AND the oetiker clamp.

If there is debris in the thermostat, it's relatively easy to disassemble and remove the debris.

You can view the thermostat in the parts diagrams on our website at: www.mercurypartsonline.net

(Cooling System Section). #2 and #30 are what you would need (of course, using the correct serial number to look it up).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

I did mine and as Don said it was very easy to replace! I also ordered and replaced the screen / filter. Kept the parts I removed for spares as those were still in good shape. Just needed a good cleaning.
    2019 RT 198P
    2018 Mercury Pro XS 150 HP 4 Stroke #2B610068
    Twin 12' BT Talons
    4" Atlas Jack Plate
    Riptide Instinct Quest

4. Member
    Removal and reassembly is super easy, have removed and inspected mine several times.

I will say this engine doesn’t run very warm, at least mine doesn’t. Even on the warmest days, with mid summer warm water, I rarely see temps in excess of 125 on my Smartcraft.

Don, what is the “open temp” of the 150 4s thermostat? Must be about 125?
    2016 Ranger 1850 LS Reata / Merc 150 4s / SmartCraft / Lowrance HDS Carbon SS3D

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Correct- should be beginning to open by 125 degrees.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

6. Member
    Thank you all for the replies. I'm a little more at ease on the matter. And I will recheck my serial number.
    2000 TR186
    2018 150 Pro XS 4 Stroke
    6in jack plate-24" Fury3

7. Member
    Don, you were right. Serial number for the outboard is 2B578744. I had the 7 and 5 reversed. I know where the thermostat is, I was just wondering if I would need a new housing gasket if I remove the housing to look at the thermostat, or if there's even a gasket there. Thanks again.
    2000 TR186
    2018 150 Pro XS 4 Stroke
    6in jack plate-24" Fury3

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitriton View Post
    Don, you were right. Serial number for the outboard is 2B578744. I had the 7 and 5 reversed. I know where the thermostat is, I was just wondering if I would need a new housing gasket if I remove the housing to look at the thermostat, or if there's even a gasket there. Thanks again.
    Service Manual says to inspect it and lube it w/ 2-4-C before re-insertion, I have done this 2-3 times and never had to replace the O-Ring on the Housing.

BTW, I highly recommend ordering a service manual from Don for your engine, answers a LOT of these easy questions, and many more complex ones.

Don, it is interesting how the Service Manual explains how to disassemble the thermostat and spring out of the housing, but the thermostat itself is not available without buying the whole housing...but then again, guessing the whole thing isn't too expensive preassembled, and then replace, so I guess doing all the pieces makes sense if its time.
    2016 Ranger 1850 LS Reata / Merc 150 4s / SmartCraft / Lowrance HDS Carbon SS3D

9. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Thermostats aren't particularly cheap... but in many cases, simple disassembly and removal of debris that is lodged in the seat may solve the problem.

If the PIN in the thermistor does not retract and allow the valve to seat- it's time for a new thermostat.

10. Member
    Thanks again gents.
    2000 TR186
    2018 150 Pro XS 4 Stroke
    6in jack plate-24" Fury3

When I ordered my Thermostat, I ordered a new O-ring too. The new Thermostat came with the O-ring. So I have an additional O-ring. But it was cheap insurance to order the O-ring, just in case. (FYI, There is a rather long lead times on these parts.)
    2019 RT 198P
    2018 Mercury Pro XS 150 HP 4 Stroke #2B610068
    Twin 12' BT Talons
    4" Atlas Jack Plate
    Riptide Instinct Quest