Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Problem with Yamaha Dealer/Yamaha...Need Advice

I needed a new motor in the Spring of 2019 and decided to go with a Yamaha 250 SHO. I missed the Spring promotion by a couple of weeks and decided to wait until the Fall promotion to get the "YES' warranty. The first week of October I seen online Yamaha posted that the Fall promotion will run through October 1st until November 26th. I called my dealer and he ordered the motor on 10/15/2019. He said it would take 2 weeks to get it. On 10/28/2019 the motor still wasn't there so I dropped off my boat so it would be there and ready for rigging when the motor arrived. I also paid for the motor that day minus the taxes and rigging. He finally got the motor and got it mounted on 11/26/2019 (the last day of the promotion) I picked up the boat and paid the balance that day.

11 months later I get a letter from Yamaha trying to sell me the "YES" warranty. I called Yamaha and they said I just had the basic warranty and the dealer would have to get the sales department to fix it. The dealer said that he registered the motor after November 26th and Yamaha wasn't willing to help because the motor had to be purchased and registered by the 26th. What should have been a 6 year warranty is now a 3 year warranty. Any advice on how to handle this situation would be appreciated.
    2005 Champion 206 Elite /Yamaha 250 SHO

2. Banned
    Dealer screwed up, he needs to pay, or at least meet you halfway.

3. Member
    Dealer failed to do there job

4. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Yep dealer messed up.

5. Member
    The Dealers was late. He should make it right. Good luck.

6. Banned
    Dealer needs to step up

7. Member
    Tell Yamaha to contact the dealer and make things right. The dealer screwed up and neither want to help you...sad! Customer service just keeps getting worse everywhere. Last option is small claims court.

8. Member
    Yeah I hope it don't come to that. I've never dealt with Yamaha before but it's not looking good

9. Member
    I'd say have yamaha contact the dealer.

N.C. State Attorney General. You bought it on Oct. 15th while the promotion was going on.

Name the dealer on the BBC & let Al get a hold of them.

12. Member
    BBB tag yamaha and the dealership itll get taken care of. People dont use BBB enough along with this yelp the dealer and a few other reviews. Its amazing how fast youll get a response. If the dealer is unwilling to do the right thing letting them know that one new negative review and a post per day on any site you want to add it to usually lights a fire as well. Thats if you want to go ultimate karen on it.

Never mention litigation unless you are ready and willing to pay for a lawyer...that is instant shut down for most companies.

13. Member
    Jason Stoogenke on Channel 9 in Charlotte (WSOC - ABC affiliate)

people contact him after getting the shaft and he has rectified a lot of things. They do 1 story a day on this on the channel 9 news
    1995 Ranger 690 VS
    2008 Yamaha 150 4 Stroke

14. Member
    Sounds like it is on the dealer for not getting it registered in time. Especially if they knew your intent of buying was to get the extended warranty at that time
    Fish have fins, they swim

15. Member
    Yep I have all receipts but apparently since it wasn't registered until after the promotion date they're unwilling to do anything.

I am just guessing but I think a good dealer would make it right with Yamaha pretty easily. Have you reached out to Yamaha on your own? From my dealings with Yamaha they are top notch.

Sort of same situation, due to delays on both dealer and OEM side, motor was not ordered or delivered in time for the promotion. So my dealer did me a solid - he waited until the next promotion period and then registered the now-6 month old motor under the new promotion. Have the extended YES warranty plus Yamaha thinks the motor is newer than it is (so really getting an extra 2.5 years of warranty).

No I don't know how he did it and I'm not going to ask. But apparently it can be done.

18. Member
    Who's responsibility was it to register?

The funny thing is his is a one day miss, with full evidence of purchasing in the correctbtime period.

I don't know how much the YES is but clearly you have a case against the dealer. Talk it out and if he refuses to make good you may have to take to small claims court. If it a small cost you might get getter of hearing it. In addition I think from PR point of view YAMAHA screwed this one up.

Makes the case to only deal with the larger more powerful dealers that have some pull.
    when you see this on the water stop and say hi.

Quote Originally Posted by jiggyhead View Post
    He finally got the motor and got it mounted on 11/26/2019 (the last day of the promotion) I picked up the boat and paid the balance that day.

The dealer said that he registered the motor after November 26th and Yamaha wasn't willing to help because the motor had to be purchased and registered by the 26th.
    That sucks! I would be pissed at that dealership.

Smith Mountain Lake, VA and a cottage in Ontario
    Good suggestion about contacting the NC attorney general's office. These folks are public servants (you pay their salaries) and you are their clientele. Mail them a letter about your problem with copies of your receipts and copy both Yamaha and the dealer.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast