Livewell Overflow plug

If you’re like me and run rough water more than you would like and find that you have to stop a time or two to refill the livewell because water drains out the overflow during this rough ride

Here is a neat idea I did in my livewells

I made these up so they hang next to the overflow drain this way I can just reach in and grab the plug and stuff it in the overflow
    Just remember to pull it out at the end of the day or you will figure it out the hard way the next trip out

for each livewell you need the following from your local hardware store

2 plastic P clips
    2 cable crimps/sleeves (Aluminum) Size of trimmer string
    1 - 12” long plastic trimmer string
    2 aluminum screws

Boats in storage or I would post a pic
    Here is a quick diagram to give you an idea of what I did

"The handicapped angler"

OR, you could just turn the Live Well switch to RECIRCULATE for the run in rough water, then back to AUTO when you stop to fish again !!
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

Quote Originally Posted by wmitch2 View Post
    OR, you could just turn the Live Well switch to RECIRCULATE for the run in rough water, then back to AUTO when you stop to fish again !!
    This is for the "OVERFLOW" not the fill/recerc valve
    "The handicapped angler"

4. Member
    Get a short piece of pvc that fits in your overflow drain. You might need to wrap it with a bit of tape to make it snug. Then glue a 90 on that short nipple. Then glue about a 2 inch nipple in the other side of the 90. You should have an L shape with basically 2 inch pieces of PVC coming out of both sides. Insert the taped side into the drain. It should be snug but you should be able to rotate it by hand. Turn the nipple up when running in rough water. Turn the nipple down if you are not. Cost $2, works like a charm and requires no drilling.

5. Member
    A friend did the same thing once. The tournament weigh in was at a restaurant/bar on the water. When it was over everyone went inside to eat etc. Two hrs later he came out to find his boat under water and the dock ropes keeping it barely from sinking. Yup, left the livewell fill on. A suggestion, tie a ribbon or something on the steering wheel when you move so you have a reminder to pull the plug on arrival.

My auto bilge kicks on even with the power off and I upgraded it to a 2000gph Rule Tsunami

I have forgotten it a couple of times and the next trip out I won't notice until the bilge kicks on

But its worth it to keep the livewells full on that rough run back to the scale
    "The handicapped angler"

7. Member
    I use a very similar method, when you get those HOT summer days, when I want to add ice to the livewell.

I fill the livewell, turn fill pump off, put in a 1 gallon frozen water Milk jug, put the plug in the overflow, then put on recirculate,

cools the water down, fish love it, most cases the 1 milk jug will be enough for the whole day, unless you get a super hot day.

In my case I took the 2 rubber plugs and connected them together w/ a 2 foot long nylon string and 2 eye hooks ,

PS: remove the label from the milk jug, I had one come off one time and it clogged up the screen inside the well, so the pump could not pump.

I like the ribbon idea, there has been a few times I forget the plug was in and my partner says, "hey there's water coming out of the livewell lids" , Make sure you remove the plugs when you start using the LIVEWELL FILL switch.
    Last edited by Team Mud; 03-08-2021 at 03:47 AM.
    1998 Triton TR-20, 2017 Evinrude 150HO