Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Banned

trimming Question

When trim motor down to get hole shot do you trim all the way down till it trims down no further? And when you trim up to get on plane you don't trim up past trim tabs correct? How will you know if you trimmed up beyond trim tabs?
    Z18 Mercury 175 pro XS 4 stroke

Thanks

2. Member
    I trim all the way down for take off. It gets me on plane quicker. As far as trimming up, I go to a general spot on my trim gauge and then make minor adjustments to the point where it "feels right". If you trim too high your RPM's will go up but speed will drop.

Start with the trim all the way down. As the boat starts to "Break Over" ease back some on the throttle as you trim up until you come on full plane and the steering become easy, then throttle up to what ever speed you want to go. Too much or too little trim and the steering gets stiff and heavy.
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

When you are above I think 2000 RPM it will not trim into the tilt range, it will only go up as far as the trim rods will go up.

5. Member
    I always start with the trim fully down,once leveled out on plane,then I start trimming up,if needed. If I’m just going to slowly cruise to another spot,I don’t use trim. You need to learn to adjust your trim level to boat speed, there’s no need for full trim except for higher speed. In fact,you can’t actually lift the boat higher in the water without higher speed,meaning you can’t fully lift the boat at 40 mph,full trim then will only cause the boat to porpoise. The prop needs the extra leverage that higher speed creates,most hulls also use high speed air flow to help lift the hull. The oncoming air is compressed under the hull and helps to lift the hull.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KYRANGERMAN View Post
    As far as trimming up, I go to a general spot on my trim gauge and then make minor adjustments to the point where it "feels right".
    This..

7. Banned
    thank you very much guy. im sure it will help others that are afraid to ask.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Arizona Angler View Post
    thank you very much guy. im sure it will help others that are afraid to ask.
    Thank you for your question. To many times we stay silent because we think we are the only person who doesn't know the answer. I see many people often, who evidently don't understand the physics behind outboard trim. I see guys with very nice boats running on the river throwing a big rooster tail way high. It looks impressive but it is not efficient. The way I learned was to just start with the trim all the way down so it lifts the stern (the heaviest part of the hull) and get you on plane the fastest with the least bow rise. Most boats liked to have trim applied as the boat went up to be on plane while my current Skeeter will just go into the famous Skeeter porpoise fit if I trim as it is getting on plane. The key with any hull is once you are on plane to pay attention to your speed and rpm. The goal at whatever speed you choose to run whether just on plane, to cruise, to WOT is to have the highest speed with the lowest rpm. As you trim up your speed will rise along with your rpm usually. Once you see speed stay the same or decrease but rpm continues up then just bump the trim back down a bit and that is the best trim level for that speed / boat load.

Quote Originally Posted by 11pounder View Post
    When you are above I think 2000 RPM it will not trim into the tilt range, it will only go up as far as the trim rods will go up.
    this is only a physics deal, the tilt does not have enough power to out do the HP, and if tilted enough you can hit the rev limiter in the tilt zone, dont do that
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

10. Member
    All the way down until on plane then I will trim up as much as need to lift the boat in relation to speed. Too much it will porpoise the trim down a little. Experience will make it second nature after while.

11. Member
    Let your motor warm up properly, unless you don't care about a 'cold seized head'. Ease her out to the deeper water, trim all the way down, check for traffic, and full throttle til you start to 'break over' on to plane, at which time you start to trim up while easing back on your throttle to the preferred speed you need for the condition around you at the time.
    Once on plane, you can feel the attitude of your boat whether you need to bring your bow up, at that point you can use bit more throttle with a couple more taps up on your trim.
    Watch your water pressure gage so you are keeping good pressure of at least 8-10 psi min, and your RPM within limit, though your limiter will let you know in the even to go over on that aspect.

Enjoy your ride!

12. Member
    I have no problem at speed but when I slow back down the bow rises too much on my new Triton TRX 189 bass boat with a Mercury 175 HP Pro XS bass boat. How do I keep the boat close to level when I slow down? I have very little seat time in my new boat. Thank you

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fly by night View Post
    I have no problem at speed but when I slow back down the bow rises too much on my new Triton TRX 189 bass boat with a Mercury 175 HP Pro XS bass boat. How do I keep the boat close to level when I slow down? I have very little seat time in my new boat. Thank you
    Start trimming down before you come off the throttle. This will push the bow back down into the water as you are slowing down. It will also help keep the boat from bouncing as you slow down
    Fish have fins, they swim

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PJ-Rohlf View Post
    Start trimming down before you come off the throttle. This will push the bow back down into the water as you are slowing down. It will also help keep the boat from bouncing as you slow down
    Thank you, will try that!

15. Member
    fly by,
    Are you talking about slowing to cruising speeds? you trim your boat according to your speed, so you want to keep your bow out of the water yet not nose up in the air.
    your rooster tail should be about cowl high without looking like a PITA jetski.

If you are talking about coming off plane to a fishing spot, you start to reduce speed watch how you transom sits down in the water, and may need to give it a little throttle to prevent wake from washing over your transom.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by digthemup View Post
    fly by,
    Are you talking about slowing to cruising speeds? you trim your boat according to your speed, so you want to keep your bow out of the water yet not nose up in the air.
    your rooster tail should be about cowl high without looking like a PITA jetski.

If you are talking about coming off plane to a fishing spot, you start to reduce speed watch how you transom sits down in the water, and may need to give it a little throttle to prevent wake from washing over your transom.
    That's what I like about having my foot throttle. I just give it a little "goose" as it's sitting down and that keeps the water from coming over the transom.

17. Member
    That's what I like about having my foot throttle. I just give it a little "goose" as it's sitting down and that keeps the water from coming over the transom.
    BTW, you can give it throttle with your hand or foot, whichever you have on your boat. The worst thing you can do is drop from 60 to 0, and you will get your trailing wake making things wet.
    I have been operating a boat of some type for nearly 50 yrs, so some things come as second nature, like double clutching my dumps, yet I have a challenge explaining it.
    Or, heel toeing to match RPM on a down shift while braking coming into a turn in my race car.

It's all about seat time teaching you as you get that gray hair.

18. Member
    Thank you for the information. I really need some seat time in my new boat. I am just trying to figure out how to keep the nose down close to level when slowing down from any speed and also when going slow. I have no problem getting on plane and going fast. It is simply trying to keep the nose down as stated at slower speeds or is that possible in modern day bass boats. Thanks again, good information so far from several of you guys that are well experienced in boating!

19. Member
    Thank you for the information. I really need some seat time in my new boat. I am just trying to figure out how to keep the nose down close to level when slowing down from any speed and also when going slow. I have no problem getting on plane and going fast. It is simply trying to keep the nose down as stated at slower speeds or is that possible in modern day bass boats. Thanks again, good information so far from several of you guys that are well experienced in boating!
    How to keep the nose down close to level when slowing down from any speed - I am going to look at this as coming to a slow stop, so that you understand my point. Due to the greater amount of weight on your transom, once the lifting forces decrease to the point of not being able to counter the mass pushing down, you transom will sink down as your nose will come up. You can lessen that by trimming down(in), but you need to be mindful if you are in skinny water.

Keep the nose down close to level when going slow - This closely relates in some part to the above, since you will need a certain amount of upward force created by forward motion of the hull design and prop being used. My '02 Viper Cobra 201 DC running a 25" Trophy Plus will keep fairly level with proper down trim as slow as 30 +-MPH, and any less she will sit down into the water from not enough upward force by the forward motion of the hull. Same rig running a 26" Tempest Plus with equal amount of trim, will not stay up any slower than 35+-MPH.

So, seat time and learning you rig will tell you what really works best between the 2 of you, so that you can achieve that serendipity.

BTW, I would like to apologize to Arizona Angler for having hijacked his post, yet, I believe that the information we have shared could be beneficial to him also.

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by digthemup View Post
    How to keep the nose down close to level when slowing down from any speed - I am going to look at this as coming to a slow stop, so that you understand my point. Due to the greater amount of weight on your transom, once the lifting forces decrease to the point of not being able to counter the mass pushing down, you transom will sink down as your nose will come up. You can lessen that by trimming down(in), but you need to be mindful if you are in skinny water.

Keep the nose down close to level when going slow - This closely relates in some part to the above, since you will need a certain amount of upward force created by forward motion of the hull design and prop being used. My '02 Viper Cobra 201 DC running a 25" Trophy Plus will keep fairly level with proper down trim as slow as 30 +-MPH, and any less she will sit down into the water from not enough upward force by the forward motion of the hull. Same rig running a 26" Tempest Plus with equal amount of trim, will not stay up any slower than 35+-MPH.

So, seat time and learning you rig will tell you what really works best between the 2 of you, so that you can achieve that serendipity.

BTW, I would like to apologize to Arizona Angler for having hijacked his post, yet, I believe that the information we have shared could be beneficial to him also.
    Thank you once again sir and yes I didn't intend to hijack someone's post and sorry if I did. I am not savvy as far as creating new posts here. Your information will be quite beneficial to me and as stated as I gain some seat time I will get better at keeping the bow down at slower speeds.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast