Thread: 859399a14

859399a14

Looking for info on this lower unit.

I have a 2008 pro xs that needs a lower unit. My friend bought this one and it doesn't fit. I want to resell it but he was misinformed on what he was buying when he got it. It's a 25"shaft vs his original is 20" plus the prop shaft is a different size.

859399a14 is the part number on the tag.
    Jeremy

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Standard/Servicemaster Gearcase, 25" Shaft Length. Primarily used for 200/225 3L models (25" shaft length) from the Carb, EFI or Optimax line.

NOT used on the 225/250 ProXS engines.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. Member
    Is there a place or site that could do a credit or swap and credit for a lower unit?
    Jeremy

4. Member
    authorized MERCURY dealer purchase ???????
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

5. Member
    NOPE. it was a facebook market place buy. this was one of my friends im really trying to help out to get back out on the water and he got screwed over with this deal. it sucks.
    Jeremy

6. Member
    put it in parts for sale good luck sir
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

7. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    I think I remember reading that Chris Carson was now cutting and re-splining driveshafts. Given that this person has no use for a 25" shaft gearcase.... perhaps he could simply have it cut to down to a 20" shaft, which might be a bit easier to sell (likely less expensive than replacing the shaft and re-shimming the gearcase).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

8. Member
    +1 ^^^^^^ i do too now that you mention it

9. Member
    but with the larger prop shaft and "Standard/Servicemaster Gearcase, 25" Shaft Length. Primarily used for 200/225 3L models (25" shaft length) from the Carb, EFI or Optimax line.
    NOT used on the 225/250 ProXS engines." from the post above, this is needing to go on the 250 pro xs 2008 model. i dont think just a cut and spline would do it would it?

Jeremy

10. Member
    sure it will just change to flo torgue plastic hub in prop and roll on , just not gonna last on pxs mtr, but it will work with d/s modified/shortened