Shimano Antares A vs Metanium DC

I'm getting my brother a super nice rod and reel for his 50th and I'm torn between these two reels. Has anyone used both of these that could comment on which way to go? Is the Antares smoother and better than the Metanium? I'm only throwing the Metanium into the mix because of the DC. I'm assuming that part helps with backlashing but I don't know.

Thanks in Advance

A have three different Antares versions and IMO they are better.

2008 BULLET 21XD 2007 Merc 300xs

3. Member
    I personally like the non DC Metanium version better. Honestly the Metanium's are probably my favorite reel by far. The only think I like even remotley close is the Daiwa Steez.
    2020 Caymas CX20

Not to be stirring, but I have a non dc metanium and my Chronarch MGL 150XG is smoother and cast farther. I have every top end Shimano baitcaster that’s been made in the last 25 years and several are Japan models. Some are better than others and it’s not a dollar to dollar thing. A couple of the high end models could probably not have been made. I like the Antares and Calais, as well as the newer Chronarch’s and a few others. I could use only the Chronarch MGL 150XG on every rod and be happy. It’s that smooth and has a very long cast.

5. Member
    I was thinking about the Chronarch to for myself. My dad must have gotten me one in the later 90s and I still have it. I've been using a Daiwa Tatula for the past few years and I've enjoyed it. I've also been thinking of the Steez SV TW. Or I may just have to set aside a few thousand and get an Antares and Steez combos and really have a nice comparison. lol

He should be happy with any of your choices. Your mind is in the right direction. Yes, those Chronarch MGL’s are truly awesome.

7. Member
    Metanium mgl is amazing