Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Wagon-Wheel / Interference Update - Fixed?

See the attached video on my final (hopefully) fix for the interference issue. Also, please let me know your thoughts on the shielding tape and if these things need to be grounded. Thanks again,

James Braun
    jamesb@classiccoatings.com
    Ranger Z20, 225 E-Tec

2. Member
    I see your noise filter is on 3 have you tried switching it to 2 or 4, made a big difference on my interference issue.

3. Member
    I did play with it. Don't see much difference between settings.

Anyone have an opinion on shielding tape/wraps and if they need to be grounded?
    James Braun
    Ranger Z20, 225 E-Tec

4. Member
    Did the shielding tape work? I feel for you having these issues.

Quote Originally Posted by xxstang90 View Post
    Did the shielding tape work? I feel for you having these issues.
    Id like to know that as well. I'd gladly buy and add the shielding tape if it would make a difference. I have been dealing with this issue for a year now and all potential solutions I have tried have been in vain. Frustrating !!

6. Member
    I have been dealing with it for nearly a year. Finally got rid of it. I put a ferrite choke on the m360 cable, MDI cable, Helix power cable and the the trolling motor power wires. Also a 14ga wire from TM skeg to neg on starting battery. I just decided to do everything since I was in bow panel and was ready for the interference to go away.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AlabamaDale View Post
    I have been dealing with it for nearly a year. Finally got rid of it. I put a ferrite choke on the m360 cable, MDI cable, Helix power cable and the the trolling motor power wires. Also a 14ga wire from TM skeg to neg on starting battery. I just decided to do everything since I was in bow panel and was ready for the interference to go away.
    Do you mind sharing where you put the ferrites exactly? As in, closer to transducer itself or before it enters the sonar unit.
    2013 Ranger Z521 | 250 Merc Pro XS

Quote Originally Posted by DC516 View Post
    Do you mind sharing where you put the ferrites exactly? As in, closer to transducer itself or before it enters the sonar unit.
    I have always heard to put them as close to the the cable collector as you can

Quote Originally Posted by River-Bandit View Post
    I have always heard to put them as close to the the cable collector as you can
    Yes, because RFI can get to the cable anywhere along its length, so you block it as much as possible before it gets to the display.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne P. View Post
    Yes, because RFI can get to the cable anywhere along its length, so you block it as much as possible before it gets to the display.
    Yes, I actually put the one for the 360 on the Y cable.

11. Member
    what size ferrite chokes are yall buying. you buying them off amazon?

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix 920 Pro XP View Post
    what size ferrite chokes are yall buying. you buying them off amazon?
    F240 mix 77

The 240 stands for 2.4" outside diameter. They are a little less than 1 1/2" inside diameter.
    I purchase from ferrite toroid companies so I know it the correct material. Whichever has them in stock.

KF7P
    Palomar Engineers
    Mouser
    Last edited by Wayne P.; 03-09-2021 at 11:28 AM.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

13. Member
    Do you buy the clamp on ferrite? or just the ring and run the cable through it?
    2010 Nitro X-5 w/ 90HP Mercury Optimax
    2020 Ultrex Ipilot Link MDI
    Helix 12 MDI G3N
    Helix 12 MSI G3N
    Mega 360

14. Banned
    can someone share the website and the size/model of the correct ferrite to use and maybe some pictures/video of how to install them? Im just another frustrated interference user :(

15. Member
    Yes, please share your specific purchasing methods. I bought the clamp on models and they did nothing. This weekend, I will trying grounding them to see if that helps. But I’d like to know where to by the ferrite rings everyone is using.
    James Braun
    Ranger Z20, 225 E-Tec

16. Member
    Now it's just a rumor, but I have heard that Wayne uses those ferrite chokes as spinnerbait blades!

Quote Originally Posted by JediBasser View Post
    Yes, please share your specific purchasing methods. I bought the clamp on models and they did nothing. This weekend, I will trying grounding them to see if that helps. But I’d like to know where to by the ferrite rings everyone is using.
    https://ferrite-shop.com/product/ft2...errite-toroid/

https://www.amazon.com/Amidon-FT_240...s%2C237&sr=8-3

18. Member
    The one I have and how I done mine.

Pics not in order.

19. Member
    I’ve tried to understand the Humminbird transducer cable design for these types of units. I’ve read various half descriptions, most from this site which seems to have a lot of very knowledgeable people. It sounds like there are shielded, twisted pairs for each transducer element. With signal return for each element tied to a common “ground”, along with the shields. That description could be entirely inaccurate. For a shielded, twisted pair to be effective in reducing interference, the shields should be connected to a non signal return point, typically a chassis ground. The twisted pair should carry differential signal and signal return and be received by a differential receiver, separately for each element, to cancel out common mode noise. Now the cables are what they are. But it seems like they are not designed properly to be effective at interference rejection. I have a Minn Kota Terrova, with internal DI/2D transducer, a rear SI/2D transducer, bow and console Helix 10 3g. I see no interference at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Avanti View Post
    I’ve tried to understand the Humminbird transducer cable design for these types of units. I’ve read various half descriptions, most from this site which seems to have a lot of very knowledgeable people. It sounds like there are shielded, twisted pairs for each transducer element. With signal return for each element tied to a common “ground”, along with the shields. That description could be entirely inaccurate. For a shielded, twisted pair to be effective in reducing interference, the shields should be connected to a non signal return point, typically a chassis ground. The twisted pair should carry differential signal and signal return and be received by a differential receiver, separately for each element, to cancel out common mode noise. Now the cables are what they are. But it seems like they are not designed properly to be effective at interference rejection. I have a Minn Kota Terrova, with internal DI/2D transducer, a rear SI/2D transducer, bow and console Helix 10 3g. I see no interference at all.
    Since a Helix transducer uses a shared negative conductor for each sensor and a SOLIX transducer's elements each have their own positive and negative, EITHER type can be affected by RFI.

RFI is completely random in the frequency it affects and the intensity of it. You can just hope your motor is not broadcasting on any of the frequencies that the unit uses so you don't have to deal with it.
    Sonar brand or trolling motor brand makes no difference.
    If it was completely preventable, that would have been applied 40 years ago, it isn't.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast