Question Networking old to new?

So I just bought a G3N Helix 10 and would like to know if my 1198 would be of any use with it. A little background first. I'm a walleye guy and fish out of a tiller. I bought my boat used with it's current setup (1198 in the back, 998 at the bow and a linked terrova). I'd like to use the Helix in the back as my primary graph/SI. Is is possible to share mapping data and waypoints with the 1198, as I'd like to use it as my mapping unit?

Will I be able to use autochart live with this setup?

If this is possible, my next question would be hooking everything up. I know I'd need to run a new ethernet cord to the hub, but what do I do with the current GPS cable (from the puck) that is on the 1198? Do I disconnect that and connect it to the Helix instead?

Thanks in advance guys, I really appreciate it!

2. Member
    Can use the 1198 strictly as a mapping unit. Disconnect the transducer and turn sonar off on it. You can only share waypoints between the two and not mapping. If you have the Ethernet Switch, you need an Ethernet cable from each unit to the switch. In addition, the Helix needs a Ethernet Adapter AS EC QDE.

The Helix can do autochart live. The 1198 with latest software can support autochart PC and zero-line cards.
    Last edited by ezfishn; 03-01-2021 at 09:20 AM.
    Wes
    Helix 10 MSI+,MDI+,Ultrex IPilot
    2023 Phoenix 818
    Never assume there's a tomorrow

No Helix and no number series units will share any mapping with any connection.

They will share waypoints.

The Helix will do Auto Chart Live whether it is linked to another unit or not. The number series are not Auto Chart Live compatible. You can share GPS in any configuration you want via Ethernet. The best setup is the external GPS antenna near the Helix's transducer so your mapping contours will be where the depth actually is so connecting it to the Helix is best, then share to the XX8 models.

A Helix has an internal GPS antenna and no XX8 units have an internal GPS antenna
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

4. Member
    Thanks guys!