Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Member
    I don't have to have the latest and greatest. That said, I have upgraded. I have the money. I don't think I'll ever make it back in money from tournaments (though I could be wrong and the livescope could truly be a game changer for me), but it's a passion, a hobby. I spent the money on it because I enjoy it.
    2001 Champion 187 Yamaha 175
    12' Talons, Lithiums and Garmins
    All pulled by a Hemi

2. Member
    We don't tournament fish and we have Lowrance product. The Active Target is going to be something I take a look at when it's readily available. It clearly takes time to utilize it but it's clear it makes you more efficient. We are the definition of weekend warriors. Out all day on Sat and Sunday and really any other chance we get. If we aren't around then it's time to move or find them.

We prefer not to get caught up in the pressure of having to have five in the box. We enjoy the time spent fishing and away from the hustle and bustle. If the newer technology drops a could more in the boat between the three of us that's a bonus. I I won't and don't have 3-4 graphs. It's a 12" Carbon at the bow and the Live at the console.

Think the bigger investment to cover would be the boat first. If you're a weekend guy and you're paying for your boat as well as the new electronics you're a hammer. Fishing for me isnt about making money, even in tournaments. I'm happy when I place and can pay for fuel, entry, and camping expenses. The rest I spend because I love the sport.
    06 Skeeter 20i Yamaha 250 HPDI
    Visit my Youtube Channel!
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCW6p06navSpOqUn3xotG2vA

4. Member
    Only if you invest heavily in learning to use them.

The electronics these days have surpassed me. I don't have any idea what I'm looking at anymore. Last I knew the HDS series was top dog which is what I have, Both Gen2 units, a five and an eight. there seems to be fifty models out now and I couldn't tell you one from another... So with that said I am looking for another HDS 8 gen 2 that works for the front..

I would invest if I had the time to learn them but I don't tourney fish and barely get to fun vish these days...

7. Member
    If you fish all over the country it would make more sense, but if you only fish local tournaments in a few lakes that you know very well then just the basic electronics is all you really need.

8. Member
    Its not the great equalizer some seem to think it is. Its like hitting baseballs with a wooden bat then discovering Aluminum is better. Problem for you is Hank Aaron now has aluminum too

9. Member
    Time-management on the water. I don’t fish tournaments anymore and can’t get on the water as much as I’d like; so new electronics make my fishing days more productive.

10. Member
    I have left before noon, but I know I am no good.

11. Member
    I've had my LiveScope for 5 trips now, and 1 tourney... Zero bass, and one accidental Crappie.

I suck, however.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wildturkey View Post
    You never recoup money in fishing. It is just some love it and our escape from the daily crap.
    This

When you get up at 4AM, lunch time is at 9 lol.. I'm one that truly enjoys new technology and utilizing it any way possible. I'm an engineer and very competitive person so those two things can lead to excessive time/money spent trying to gain an advantage. To answer the OP question, I fish local clubs and average $3-4k to the positive. Strictly comparing entry fees to winnings. I do not include gas, food or anything else because I'm going to fish every day I can. Doesn't matter if it's for fun or a derby. I have kept a spreadsheet for 11 years and bass fish on an average of 70 times a year from March through November. Yes, I do have 360 and LS

14. Member
    Like everything else in life, there will be those that have it to keep up with the Jones's, those to be cool, and those seeking another tool to make them more efficient.
    Livescope has taught me to explore new techniques and to target fish I would not have in the past.

15. New England Forum Moderator twitch's Avatar
    I don't have the newer live scope or 360 or whatever only 2HDS Gen 2's , the new stuff may be a game changer for some but it is not going to make you a overnight star in bass fishing, yes it probably will put a few more fish in the boat , if you learn to use it correctly . It's all up to you what you want to spend on your graphs and how much time you dedicate to learning how to use them... seeing them doesn't always make them bite and knowing they are there doesn't mean they will bite...lol if you want them get them or just get good with what you have the choice is yours and how you fish and what you fish .If I fished all over the country for big money then yes I would probably run the best but for local tourneys around home on waters I have been fishing for 30 years not so much just my opinion
    1990 374V Ranger Still kickin' bass after all these years

16. Member
    Lol people are actually pretending to recoup costs by fishing tournaments?

when I bought livescope the last thing on my mind was “I’m buying this so that I can do better in tournaments” it’s a gadget, gadgets are fun and enjoyable to use.

by this logic we should all stop fishing with rods that cost more than $50 as well.

it’s called having a hobby, yes I spend thousands of dollars doing it, do people that go on ski vacations make their money back? What about model train builders, they surely recoup their costs as well right?
    06 Stratos 294 ProXL

Smith Mountain Lake, VA and a cottage in Ontario
    Quote Originally Posted by PJ-Rohlf View Post
    360 paid for itself in 2 events....LS maybe 3-4. But to be honest breaking even is pretty good for the week-end series of events around here after you figure gas and pre fishing time lol
    If you had a Hummingbird unit on your bow and had the choice to upgrade to Mega 360 or wait for 360 Live, which would you choose? And assume that adding another head unit is not an option.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tcesni View Post
    If you had a Hummingbird unit on your bow and had the choice to upgrade to Mega 360 or wait for 360 Live, which would you choose? And assume that adding another head unit is not an option.
    I'm trying to make that decision right now. I bought a new graph for the front to run Mega 360, but now I'm debating about waiting for Mega Live.
    2016 Ranger RT188, Yamaha 115 sho, dual console, 80# Ultrex, hotfoot, networked HB Solix 10 & Helix 9, Mega 360. Powertech NRS3 18p, Atlas 4" jack plate.

19. Member
    I love learning and looking for new stuff on lakes.

However I don't have the bank account for all the new gadgets out there, going to get a helix 10 this summer and moving 998 up to the front for mapping finally up there.

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tcesni View Post
    I personally don't see an advantage to upgrade to M360 (vs original 360 if that is what you are asking). For me 360 is on 100% of the time and LS is on 60% of the time if that says anything...
    Fish have fins, they swim

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast