new vexus ave 181

Just took my new boat out for a break in period. The boat is pretty much loaded with all options. I was extremely pleased with everything but the draft, only 14 inches. I have a 60hp Mercury command thrust. It gets on plane very easy and very smooth, almost instant. It rides in rough water much better than I expected, better than the rt 178 I traded in. Top speed is only 30mph but that was about what I expected. Since Vexus moved the gas tank forward and I choose a 260 pound motor I really expected a shallower draft, can anyone explain to me why this boat doesn't sit in the water shallower.

It is probably the pad hull. The hull shape leading forward from the pad narrows into a high dead rise so it does does not have a lot of surface area contacting the water in the back.
    As a comparison, my RT188 ( essentially a flat bottom) drafts 8 inches whereas a 198P drafts 12. I know this is not an apples to apples comparison, but the 188P was not in production when these measurements were taken.

I try to drive as if my 16 year old Grandson is following me
    Speak as if he is listening and act as if he is watching

3. Member
    Thanks Bill, it is a pad hull, probably why it performs so well.

4. Member
    This is the reason I don't want a pad hull. There's a few places on my local lake that I go through regularly that my RT188 touches bottom