84 150 wont idle

I have a 84 150 that runs and idles ok until you pull it all the way back to get it in gear then it dies will start right back up.Ser#06607632 thanks for the help

2. Member
    sure sounds like over rich fuel problem or linkage adjustment, check out v6 forum one down dont forget ser number
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Good idea to start with a Sync-n-Link procedure, checking all settings per the Service Manual.

I'll move the thread to the 2.0/2.4/2.5 Forum for you.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

4. Member
    i know comp.test are to be done on warmed up engine but i ran this one cold and all cylinders were 90lb this looks low to me could this be the problem?

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Doubtful... very hard to get decent compression on those earlier models when the engine wasn't warmed up.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor