2021 ZX225 With Lithium batteries MPH Question

I have a new ZX225 and put my three 50AH Ionics in it so I only have 42LBS of trolling motor batteries and 1 large AGM starting battery. Anyway, after breaking in the motor for 4 hours I opened it up and had a higher than normal rooster tail and only got 66 MPH top. Do these boats need weight in back for speed to increase? Motor and prop are set to factory so I was thinking I need to lower the plate. Thoughts? I do not know the RPM's I was running (factory forgot to hook up the gauges to the control box.) I'll run it again and get complete numbers but wondering if I'm to light in the rear?

Thanks!

2. Member
    Forgot to add my weight, I'm 185. :)

3. Member
    72-73mph boat all day. Move al your heavy tackle to back compartments. If your turning close to 6k in rpms and rooster tail is over motor cowling it’s trimmed too high and or possibly P2P is too high. Once you do this get your numbers, lower it in 1/4” increments and then test again. Do this until you find the sweet spot.

4. Member
    Thank you! I'll give it a try, it does feel like the motor is to high just from feel.

5. Member
    Then take your boat to the shop and have them fix your gauges on the spot.
    BS that boat left the shop with non functioning gauges!
    So much for quality control!

6. Member
    BassBum, I took care of that myself but agree, that was not how it should have left. I didn't want to drive 5 hours back to the dealer. :)

7. Member
    The boat is engineered for the weight of the batteries in the back. So if you get rid of that weight, you need to move some of your gear towards the back. When trimming the zx models, as you get close to your top speedbump the trim down 2 quick bumps. This will allow the prop to hook up a little better and increase your speed. should lower your rooster tail. If the rooster is still high and speed low, lower the plate one dot at a time. I would not expect you need to go below 6 dots showing.