Caymas cx20 vs. Phoenix 920??

I want a Caymas CX20. You guys that have driven both which do you prefer? What is your opinion on which is a better built boat for the long haul.
    Last edited by Volskeith; 02-07-2022 at 10:42 PM.

2. Member
    Are you having second thoughts on your CX-20

3. Member
    I also have a CX20, I came from a 2018 phoenix. I think they're both extremely well built boats "for the long haul". I would buy either again

Quote Originally Posted by DMart1 View Post
    I also have a CX20, I came from a 2018 phoenix. I think they're both extremely well built boats "for the long haul". I would buy either again
    How would you compare the two?
    There was a time that I didn't fish but I cannot remember it.

5. Member
    I owned an '18 819. Have several friends that have 920/921s, so I've been in those boats quite a bit as well.

The rough water ride is excellent in both. Speed is very comparable. I'm doing a touch over 75 mph solo (tackle + full tank) in the CX20 but the motor is a tad high, I know I can get more. Zero walk right now but likely more due to motor height. You definitely have to "drive" a phoenix which I'm a bit suprised how planted the Caymas feels in comparison (especially being a Benz boat). Again motor height affects this.. Other CX20 owners are getting mid to upper 70s also - similar numbers to a 920. Trailers are similar, if not identical from what I can tell.

There are things I like better in the Caymas, and things I liked better in my Phoenix.

Caymas Pluses
    - I like the single center tackle storage in the CX20 over my 819 and the multiple in the 920/921. Beyond the rows down the center, I like how the sides are deep as well. I can put two 3700s or a 3700 deep, swimbait packages, etc all on the sides. More comparable to the 920 elite perhaps, but the tackle storage was among the top "Like" for me over the 819/919/920/921 Phoenix models. The bungee system in the Phoenix boats are useless, and don't do the job IMO, I wish they would ditch that. Center rod storage across the top of the tackle is a sweet feature as well.
    - Hard to describe, but the handling of the CX20 feels a bit more sports car like. Turning and carving quickly seems to be a lot more stable in this boat. Another feature I really like. More stable at speed as well.
    - Trolling motor wedge is a neat deal, keeps the TM transducer straight down for vertical fishing. Seems to work well, played with an ice jig underneath it this past weekend.
    - Livewells I like a LOT better in the Caymas. It always irked me that my phoenix livewells would always fill with water when they weren't being used, and there was no drain on the very bottom. So they would always hold a small amount of (nasty) water no matter what. Plugs are on the "floor" of the Caymas livewells, they are removable for washing out crawfish,shad guts, etc.
    - Seadeck floor is neat - dries fast and easy to clean. I still like carpet everywhere else FWIW..

Phoenix Pluses
    - Main rod locker rear butt sections are a little nicer for keeping rods organized but the Caymas system works well. I like how the Caymas doesn't have forward rod tubes, but they can obviously be removed in any boat.
    - Small detail - But I liked the small storage drawers to the left of the cooler. I miss those on the caymas, but I gained a sliding drawer. So maybe a draw there. The cooler is slightly deeper in the Phoenix which I do miss now.
    - Boarding ladder on the jackplate is more robust. I don't care for the in/out sliding design of the Caymas. Especially if it's used for the occasional recreational swimmer on the lake.
    - Glovebox (between the seats) was better on the phoenix. The wedge shape of the Caymas is rather odd, but it works.
    - Coangler rod rack was a really nice feature of the Phoenix. Not a huge deal as an owner but nice for team tournaments, and to have spare setups during solo practice much better organized. Caymas has the crummy Ranger style horizontal slots that everything ends up a tangled mess.
    - I actually have a tad more legroom in the phoenix. The Caymas has an adjustable seat, but all the way back I wish it had one more "click". I'm 6'2" FWIW.
    - Boat sits lower on the trailer. I needed to get a boarding ladder in my Caymas due to the height, could barely make the step from the trailer to the bow and I'm taller.. May not matter if you get one either way.

Both are great boats, dealer is always a deciding factor. Both of mine were great too which helped!
    Last edited by DMart1; 03-24-2021 at 01:39 PM.

Excellent review, Dan! Thank you
    There was a time that I didn't fish but I cannot remember it.

7. Member
    Good stuff...I'm considering both boats this summer. Thanks for putting it together for us.

I’ve been on the fence between 920 Pro XP and the CX20. Local dealer picked up Caymas versus have to drive 150 miles for Phoenix.
    Thanks for the review DM

9. Member
    Great review!

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SkeeterBob View Post
    I’ve been on the fence between 920 Pro XP and the CX20. Local dealer picked up Caymas versus have to drive 150 miles for Phoenix.
    Thanks for the review DM
    If you like your local dealer, go Caymas. Loving my CX20!

11. Member
    Several of the guys I know that have a Caymas have had major issues with spiderweb cracks, and other major cracking issues with rod boxes etc. Most have had to go back to the factory for major repairs or replacements.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by trgridley View Post
    Several of the guys I know that have a Caymas have had major issues with spiderweb cracks, and other major cracking issues with rod boxes etc. Most have had to go back to the factory for major repairs or replacements.
    So, 7 posts and you troll straight to the Caymas forum to tell everyone how terrible they are? Interesting..

On a side note, I have “heard” of some of the earlier years that came off the line with gel coat issues (rubbing off while trailering with the cover on) but no quality issues on the ‘21 model years that I am aware of. I was also warned when I bought my Phoenix about this exact issue. Those ratchet covers can be put on incredibly tight.
    Last edited by DMart1; 04-02-2021 at 09:26 PM.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by trgridley View Post
    I have not heard of anything like this even on FB where lies flow daily really i have not hear any issues other than what D M said above about the covers. I was up there visiting with Earl few weeks ago and the warranty department looked like the Maytag warranty tech who was just setting around being bored!! Sure looks to me they have one heck of a nice boat, i absolutely love my CX 20 and i have had a lot of boats over the years!!

14. Member
    I’ve know 4 friends with them and have talked to another 4-5 on the water and no issues as reported amongst us. Great boat!

15. Member
    I certainly hope there are no cracking issues, was wanting to order a new Caymas soon.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by happykamper View Post
    I certainly hope there are no cracking issues, was wanting to order a new Caymas soon.
    Your safe believe me!!
    I think things gets turned around sometimes, from covers rubbing to cracks caused by the covers

17. Member
    Would not worry either, they're flying out the door at my local dealer. I know several Caymas owners personally and I have yet to hear of this on any 2021 boat..

18. BBC SPONSOR
    Caymas told me I have the 14th cx 20 out of the mold, and its been in some really rough water. Not a single issue so far.