Thread: 2021 proxs 250

Carbon X Rods

2021 proxs 250

Sn 3B013324

I purchased this motor in January and bought 5 additional years of platinum warranty so i have platinum warranty till jan 2029. I hit a rock yesterday and took about an inch off the bottom of the skeg. I know its not covered under warranty because of it being my fault, but my question is will Mercury warranty still be in effect if i file an insurance claim and get a new gearcase housing installed with all my internals? It did not kill the motor nor bend any prop blade but about 3/4 -1 inch of the lower part of the skeg is broken off. I bought this to get 8 years of no worries and then go and do this right off the bat. Im going to take it in and have the propshaft checked for straightness before i run it any further. Just worried that this will affect the remaining warranty on the lower after new housing is put on.
    Pic is attached
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Member
    Your warranty/product protection plan is on your "motor" not the lower. Shouldn't matter what lower is on it. As long as the work is done by a merc shop.
    2020 Nitro Z20 250 Pro XS

3. Member
    Don will be a long shortly for a definitive answer but, I am pretty sure if repaired by a Mercury dealer per Mercury specifications, your warranty is unaffected. Your platinum service plan should also be unaffected.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gmowry View Post
    Sn 3B013324

I purchased this motor in January and bought 5 additional years of platinum warranty so i have platinum warranty till jan 2029. I hit a rock yesterday and took about an inch off the bottom of the skeg. I know its not covered under warranty because of it being my fault, but my question is will Mercury warranty still be in effect if i file an insurance claim and get a new gearcase housing installed with all my internals? It did not kill the motor nor bend any prop blade but about 3/4 -1 inch of the lower part of the skeg is broken off. I bought this to get 8 years of no worries and then go and do this right off the bat. Im going to take it in and have the propshaft checked for straightness before i run it any further. Just worried that this will affect the remaining warranty on the lower after new housing is put on.
    Pic is attached
    The warranty and product protection cover the entire outboard not just the powerhead. If your certified Mercury dealer performs damage assessment, and replaces any required parts, your warranty and product protection remain intact.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    First I should clarify for you the coverage you have, as it DIFFERS:

Your engine has a 3 Year FACTORY WARRANTY, until January of 2024.

After that, you have a SERVICE CONTRACT (Mercury PLATINUM Product Protection) for 5 years, through January of 2029. This DIFFERS from (and is not) "Warranty".

In regards to your gearcase: The engine must be repaired to Warranty Standards by an Authorized Dealer, using only new OEM components. Retain PROOF (ie: Repair Order or Receipt). Once repaired to Warranty Standards, the replacement components will assume the remainder of the Engine's Warranty (or product protection plan) coverage.

You will want a very knowledgeable tech/dealer to assist you with the estimate and repair (do not rely on your insurance adjuster to do this... as their job is quite simply to save the insurance company money by whatever means possible).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    First I should clarify for you the coverage you have, as it DIFFERS:

Your engine has a 3 Year FACTORY WARRANTY, until January of 2024.

After that, you have a SERVICE CONTRACT (Mercury PLATINUM Product Protection) for 5 years, through January of 2029. This DIFFERS from (and is not) "Warranty".

In regards to your gearcase: The engine must be repaired to Warranty Standards by an Authorized Dealer, using only new OEM components. Retain PROOF (ie: Repair Order or Receipt). Once repaired to Warranty Standards, the replacement components will assume the remainder of the Engine's Warranty (or product protection plan) coverage.

You will want a very knowledgeable tech/dealer to assist you with the estimate and repair (do not rely on your insurance adjuster to do this... as their job is quite simply to save the insurance company money by whatever means possible).
    Don, I have seen you mention this multiple times. Here is a link explaining the benefits. Can you explain how a gold or platinum plan is NOT a "warranty"? It covers parts and labor. How is that not a warranty?
    https://www.mercurymarine.com/en/us/...ct-protection/
    2022 Blazer 675 Ultimate
    2022 Merc 300 Pro XS
    2017 YZ250F
    Kenny Hollingsworth<<<<<<<<<MY NAME!
    828 674 6752
    Hendersonville NC<<<<MY LOCATION!!

7. Member
    The Gold and Platinum Product Protection coverage does not meet the legal definition of a "warranty" under federal law because it is not included in the purchase price of the product. The "warranty" for the first three years IS included and therefore is legally a "Warranty." (15 USC 2301) The terms "Warranty" and "Service Contract" are legally defined in federal law and are not interchangeable.

You can read the fine print HERE to see how the Warranty and MPP plans differ in practicality. I'm not qualified to comment on the details of Mercury's warranty or service contracts.
    2015 Tracker Targa V18 150 4-Stroke 2B142247 9.9 EFI Pro Kicker 1R159535
    2001 MasterCraft Maristar 210 V-Drive, LTR 330 HP

8. Member
    Because Gold and Platinum are, by Mercury's definition, service contracts and service contracts are not warranties.

Mercury Product Protection is an extended service contract for your Mercury and MerCruiser engine and MotorGuide Trolling Motor that covers certain expenses caused by defects in materials and workmanship after the Mercury Limited Warranty expires.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

9. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JS! View Post
    The Gold and Platinum Product Protection coverage does not meet the legal definition of a "warranty" under federal law because it is not included in the purchase price of the product. The "warranty" for the first three years IS included and therefore is legally a "Warranty." (15 USC 2301) The terms "Warranty" and "Service Contract" are legally defined in federal law and are not interchangeable.

You can read the fine print HERE to see how the Warranty and MPP plans differ in practicality. I'm not qualified to comment on the details of Mercury's warranty or service contracts.

This is actually a very good explanation.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

10. Member
    And just to add a little more information, think about it like this:

A company that sells something to you that offers a "Warranty" must do so under the federal laws governing warranties (The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act, 1975). The laws were enacted to protect consumers from being misled or confused buy manufacturers.

A service contract is just that, a legal contract for which you agree to the terms of that contract when purchasing the contract. You did not need to do that to get the "warranty." Service contracts are also regulated (in differernt ways) by different states. Many times "Service Contracts" are referred to as "Extended Warranties." It seems Mercury has chosen to be very clear with it's consumers, at least in their documentation, that these plans are service contracts. I know many of us have been offered an extended warranty at a car dealership - these are servive contracts under federal law.

BTW. I'm not an attorney, please do not consider this legal advice. I just recently retired, bought another boat and it's been too windy to fish so here I am reading legal briefs and case law about warranties. I need to fish!

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SilverFox579 View Post
    Because Gold and Platinum are, by Mercury's definition, service contracts and service contracts are not warranties.
    You are correct for the most part....

In the USA, these are not Mercury's definition, they are defined by federal law as service contracts. Mercury has more lawyers than you or I would ever need (as does every major compnay) and they know exactly what they are offering, regardless of how they market or sell it. Like I said previously, Mercury is very clear in their documentation that these (Gold and Platinum) plans are contracts. Look, this is all legal mumbo-jumbo - read the fine print and call it what you want. If you want to call it an extended warranty in your mind, go ahead - but know that it is not a "warranty" as defined in current US Law. It's a contract.

I cannot speak for anything outside the US.
    Last edited by JS!; 03-02-2021 at 11:30 PM.

12. Member
    Spend 225 dollars and have a new skeg welded on no insurance is gonna replace a lower if only damage is a broken skeg

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wisfarmer View Post
    Spend 225 dollars and have a new skeg welded on no insurance is gonna replace a lower if only damage is a broken skeg
    Warranty and MPP Platinum will be null and void if he goes that route.
    Explain to insurance by welding on a HIGH PERFORMANCE piece of equipment it will create a liability if a failure occurs.
    Also the engine is NEW, insurance should take that into consideration, just as insurance does with vehicles that are new.

The dealer needs to stress both of these points to the adjuster/marine surveyor.

JAZII

Quote Originally Posted by Wisfarmer View Post
    I have been an insurance agent in NC/SC for 29 years. This is not correct information. However, Insurance is VERY likely to replace the housing with the existing internal parts. I have seen it first hand several times.
    2022 Blazer 675 Ultimate
    2022 Merc 300 Pro XS
    2017 YZ250F
    Kenny Hollingsworth<<<<<<<<<MY NAME!
    828 674 6752
    Hendersonville NC<<<<MY LOCATION!!

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JS! View Post
    You are correct for the most part....

In the USA, these are not Mercury's definition, they are defined by federal law as service contracts. Mercury has more lawyers than you or I would ever need (as does every major compnay) and they know exactly what they are offering, regardless of how they market or sell it. Like I said previously, Mercury is very clear in their documentation that these (Gold and Platinum) plans are contracts. Look, this is all legal mumbo-jumbo - read the fine print and call it what you want. If you want to call it an extended warranty in your mind, go ahead - but know that it is not a "warranty" as defined in current US Law. It's a contract.

I cannot speak for anything outside the US.
    I know that and was just highlighting the fact Mercury explicitly stated the same in the link posted. Bottom line is, like you said, it's a contract not a warranty.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax