Thread: Water depth

Water depth

What is a safe water level for my skeeter zx200 when fishing? Yesterday my graph was reading 2 ft deep, I assume that’s from the bottom of the trolling motor where the transducer is mounted? I trimmed the outboard up to get the lower unit out of the water, but didn’t know how much of my hull sits in the water and is potentially going to drag bottom.

2. Member
    Don’t quote me but I think the draft is 1 foot

3. Member
    Thank you. I tried searching for it, but came up empty.

I think draft is closer to 16", but that's besides the point. I would agree your sonar saying 2' is probably below the trolling motor.

There is no rule for how shallow you can fish. Let's just point out the basics. You want to trim your gas motor up to prevent it from dragging or hitting anything. You did this. You don't want your trolling motor dragging on the bottom, so raise it up. Now evaluating the bottom composition is a big deal, if it is a mud bottom or sand go ahead an get stuck it won't hurt anything, not even a gravel or shell bed will hurt when fishing. But if you have scattered rock or rock piles the penalty for just touching one may be kind of expensive. If it is flat calm and your moving at like 0.5mph and slower a tap on a rock should not hurt anything. But if it's windy and your on power 5 on the trolling motor this could be a terrible mistake.

mid you touch the hull or motors to the bottom of the lake you should inspect it when you put it on the trailer.
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

Quote Originally Posted by Fishysam View Post
    I think draft is closer to 16", but that's besides the point. I would agree your sonar saying 2' is probably below the trolling motor.

There is no rule for how shallow you can fish. Let's just point out the basics. You want to trim your gas motor up to prevent it from dragging or hitting anything. You did this. You don't want your trolling motor dragging on the bottom, so raise it up. Now evaluating the bottom composition is a big deal, if it is a mud bottom or sand go ahead an get stuck it won't hurt anything, not even a gravel or shell bed will hurt when fishing. But if you have scattered rock or rock piles the penalty for just touching one may be kind of expensive. If it is flat calm and your moving at like 0.5mph and slower a tap on a rock should not hurt anything. But if it's windy and your on power 5 on the trolling motor this could be a terrible mistake.

mid you touch the hull or motors to the bottom of the lake you should inspect it when you put it on the trailer.
    Yep, I did this last year and can attest that it is not good. Drifted up on a shallow rock point and the hull got scratched/chipped in several spots (one spot down to the exposed glass). I was not under power and had already stowed the tolling motor and was just drifting slowly. Didn't realize the point extended so far out. $1,000 fix.

6. Member
    My FX-21 takes at least 2' of water under it. You stick my pig in the mud or a sandbar!
    You just might not get it off. I have convinced my self to stay deeper and cast further!