Livescope Voltage Questions

Guys

I know this has been discussed, but I cannot find an exact answer. I fished my first tourney with my new 122 sv.. Very cool I must say. I also recently bought a Duracell AGM 31 for my starting battery. I am running a 73sv Garmin, a Lowrance 9 TI and the 122 sv. I put the Lowrance in standby mode while I am at the bow.

Midway through the day, my LIvescope voltage showed a voltage as low as 11.7v. Engine started fine, livewells and all graphs continued to work. I had my local dealer wire the LIvescope. I need to find out how he wired the LIvescope.

If the Livescope shows a voltage drop of below 12v , what are the results? Reduced imaging on Ultrex? Starting battery drained?

I assume my 31 AGM is powerful enough? Could it be the wiring?

Any advice is appreciated
    2007 Ranger Z21
    Yamaha SHO 250

2. Member
    You should anticipate a voltage drop throughout the day if not running your motor. The lowest I've ever gone is 11.2 as I know my motor is really close to not turning over if I go below that. I've since changed my power setup but I do not recall my finder or LS doing anything funky at those voltages. FWIW, LS power range is 10-32v so I don't know that I would be concerned with 11.7.

I would suspect your wiring is not up to the job. I would look into a see clear harness.

my unit will start at 12.3 and the lowest it has ever gotten is 12.1, that something like 8 hour tournament and a extra hour of livewells pumping or a 14 hour day, my lakes are small and running gas motor is irrelevant.
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

4. Member
    I ran 2 Echomap Plus 93SV's from a dedicated battery. It was an old group 24 lead acid marine starting battery that I replaced last year, now 4 years old. Last year, the voltage would drop to 11.7 or so, but I never had any issues. I have added Livescope and a GMS 10 network expander to the same battery. I went out Saturday. After about 4 hours, the battery voltage dropped to about 8.7 volts. By this time, the voltage was fluctuating between about 9 and 8.7 volts. Before too long, Livescope began disconnecting and I would get the disconnected warnings on my sonar screens. I moved everything over to my current, less than a year old, starting battery while on the water and had no issues for another 2-3 hours.

Needless to say, that battery has since been replaced with a group 27 deep cycle, dedicated to the sonar and network devices. No space for anything larger. We shall see how it holds up.

If you can, you should get a dedicated battery for the electronics.

If the voltage AT the starting battery is below 12v it is pretty much dead or very little charge left. Any lower can cause permanent damage.

If the measurement at the battery is like 12.5 and reading on the graph is under 12v then your wiring is insufficient or bad.

6. Charger Boats Moderator TOUCH OF CLASS's Avatar

7. Banned
    I run my GLS10 and my Garmin chart plotter on a 20 V Battery and the black box( GLS10) works fine until I go below 10 volts.

my unit will start at 12.3 and the lowest it has ever gotten is 12.1, that something like 8 hour tournament and a extra hour of livewells pumping or a 14 hour day, my lakes are small and running gas motor is irrelevant.
    As Fishysam mentioned, I am seeing the same thing. I have a Group 31 AGM and am running 8ga wire to a dedicated fuse block for just the GLS10, and my 93SV. Never have seen it get below 12.1 and pretty much see it right at 12.3 at the start of the day.
    Also running 360 and two Humminbird Helix's off the same battery but going to a different Terminal block.
    Layton Strong
    Nitro State Team

9. Member
    I have a 1 yr old group 31 with a helix 10 12 and 1022 Garmin and mine will get down around 10.6 after all day. All wired on 10g wire just curious how some of all you are seeing 12.1 after 8 hrs of fishing.

10. Member
    I tried this on a one year old group 31 battery, running a Garmin 126, Garmin 106, and Livescope with 10 gauge wire to each. After about 7 to 8 hours, the Garmin would give me a low voltage warning and after about another hour would shut down. Because I dont run the main motor a lot when I am fishing, I am not getting much re-charge of my main battery. If you run around a lot, the big motor is charging the battery significantly, so it can depend on how much running time you are doing as to how low the voltage will be a the end of the day. Those that run the big motor and charge the battery between fishing spots the most, will see higher voltages at the end of the day. It can depend on the size alternator on your motor as to how quickly it will charge the battery.

Just for some real measured numbers......After a full battery re-charge, I measured the full current draw of all three Garmin systems together powered on and running at the main battery, and measured it at 5.4 amps and it varied up to 6.2 amps at times, at 12.8 volts. So for a 10 hour day, that equates to 54 to 62 Amp Hours needed. I usually fish 10 hours or more so the only way I solved this was by putting all my Garmin equipment on a dedicated 60 AH Lithium battery. Technically the way I fish, I probably should have gotten at least an 80 AH battery to be conservative. However, the lowest voltage I have seen thus far is 12.1 volts after a 10 hour day. The starting battery is happier to start my big motor too at the end of the day.

11. Member
    Thanks for the reply. Might look into getting a dedicated battery just for my livescope.