2000 Yamaha 225 Vmax EFI OX66 3.1L

Can someone give me some information on why my Yamaha 225 Vmax is shutting off? I was running down the lake around 20 mph and the motor shut off like the kill switch was pulled. I looked down to see if that’s what happened but it was still attached. I tried starting it and it would only turn over but not crank. I let it sit for about 30 minutes and it cranked. Went to the next spot and while getting up on plane it shuts off again. Waited about 30 minutes again and it cranked ran the rest of the day but took it easy. Put it on the trailer and got home and would not crank but turned over but that’s it.
    Fast forward I replaced the spark plugs, replaced the inline gas filter, replaced the bulb , replaced the VST filter, replaced the three low pressure fuel pumps, replaced the high pressure fuel pump,replaced the kill switch and cleaned the O2 Sensor which was terrible. Turned the motor over on the hose pipe and fired right up. Took it to the lake again it ran great all day with no complaints. I took it the next weekend ran great all morning no complaints. Went to another fishing spot running about 20 mph or less and it shut off like pulling the kill switch again. Tried starting it again it will turn over but not crank at all almost like no fire. The boat and motor probably doesn’t have over 100 hours but did sit in my Uncles basement for years not being used.Please advise

Last year I had a somewhat similar situation. I was out running spot to spot everything was fine, stopped to fish for about 15-20min went to crank and it did like you explained, nothing. about 10-15 minutes later i tried it and it turned over, ran fine for the following two days. the following weekend, I was practicing for a tournament and it did it again, 15-20minutes later it cranked. I said this is going to suck if I'm fishing that last spot and does this sh!t, or just doesn't start back up. I did a good bit of research and the Relay assembly was the issue, I replaced that and I haven't had the issue since. The relay assembly provides power to a few different things, fuel pump being one of them.
    one thing to check. when it dies, turn the key to the on position and listen for the vst pump. it should come on for a few seconds, that can be a sign of the relay or possible vst motor
    Chris Hawkins

Ranger 520VX / Mercury Optimax 225

I'm betting the fuel pump relay is bad.

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

4. Member
    Does the motor and remote shake like crazy before it shuts off?

5. Member
    I had pretty much the same issue last year with my OX66. It was the fuel pump relay.

6. Member
    Man that's good information I'm going to buy the fuel pump relay and start there. When I changed the fuel pump I did make sure I could hear it run but that's something I will check before and after I install the relay. Thanks again for the information
    By the why you wouldn't happen to remember the part number would you ?

7. Member
    No, It's just like pulling the kill switch.

8. Member
    Thanks for the information I'm going to start there.

9. Member
    I have had that same issue and found it to be the ignition switch, ordered a new one with a new kill switch & plate and problem solved.
    Bill Perry
    Zwolle, LA (Toledo Bend)
    bpicinc_2000@yahoo.com
    2001 ZX-250 VMAX 225. HDS-9 Carbon, HDS-7Carbon, 3D Sonar, HB 998c hd si, Active Target, MG Tour Pro 36v, 12" Slide Master
    USN, USS Newport News CA-148

65L-81950-09-00
    Chris Hawkins

Ranger 520VX / Mercury Optimax 225

11. Member
    Same issue last fall for me.
    Fuel pump relay.

12. Member
    Is there just a relay or the whole relay assembly?