tilt seal blew. Take it to a shop or do it myself?

225 optimax 2002 (s/n)ot470688
    The last trip out, before yearly maintenance, the tilt seal blew out. I have the boat out of the water on stands now. Can the tilt and trim assembly be removed with out pulling the engine off the transom?
    Thanks

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    In some installations, yes. However: WHICH "tilt seal blew out"? Depending on the answer- it may be quite simple to repair it IN PLACE.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. Member
    the center one that tilts it all the way up

4. Member
    ...and thanks for answering on a Sunday.

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Thanks. Now we will need to determine which one of these accurately describes the trim system configuration on YOUR engine:

-CAST pump housing

-Removable pump housing

-PLASTIC Motor Housing.

Each has some different components- if unsure, it may help to pull up the parts diagrams on our website at: www.mercurypartsonline.net

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

6. Member
    Do it your self, I rebuilt the whole system on my XB250 a couple of moths ago. A good manual and keeping everything clean. Buy replacement end caps with the seals already installed and save yourself the time and headache. You can replace most of the seals in your system with the trim system still attached. I took mine out to rebuild it completely and it would have been easier to remove the outboard then remove the trim unit.

7. Member
    Its defiantly cast.

8. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by myakka View Post
    Its defiantly cast.
    878408A1 Repair Kit will have everything you need to reseal that system.

You could use a Shock-Rod Kit (without removing/disassembling), but they're REALLY proud of those (8M0168219).

If you're going to reseal/rebuild yours, I strongly recommend a Factory Service Manual to use as your guide, and a VERY clean work area.

9. Member
    Thanks. I'm a plumber so a clean work area is out. ;)

10. Member
    Wow, I guess by REALLY proud, you meant violently violated, since the shock rod kit is 10x more expensive than the repair kit. I am sure its up there in price even from your store.

11. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Yes, it is. There's really only 4 pieces for that "shock rod kit" in the repair kit (you're getting the piston, trail-over valves, rod, and endcap as well). Still a big "gulp"... and makes it well worth the effort to try rebuilding the system.

12. Member
    +++1

13. Member
    Thanks for the info.