Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

On star and data plans on newer chevy trucks?

I bought myself and family a 2018 crew cab 1500 used since my 2004 extended cab was getting cramped on every one. The 2018 has on star and built in wifi that is active for a 30 day trial period. I don't care for the on star mess but the wifi would be handy for the kids when on trips and stuff for their tablets. I set up the my chevrolet app and looked up some online but it doesn't say much if I can just do the data plan for wifi with out on star. Does any one know if this is an option?

Have you looked at the prices of the wifi plans? You're better off just hot-spotting one of your cell phones for data. And while I'm not totally positive, I do think that, yes, you have to have On-Star for the wifi.
    __________________________________________________ _____________
    2005 Lund Rebel SS 1650 w/25 HP Merc 4-stroke
    USAF 1985 - 2006 NKAWTG!

3. Member
    You're right AFAngler. My FIL had the data plan on his Ram and it's available on his current Tahoe. The service seems better with a hotspot and its for sure more cost effective.

4. Banned
    Had the wifi on the 2016. I recall having the onstar plan as well. The wifi is AT&T, which didn't work in one of the main places I went. Also, the ignition had to be on which wasn't very helpful in my situation.

Ok, looks like I'll just have to download stuff for them before we leave. $50 a month is too much for my taste.

6. Banned
    I stopped mine then re up if I need the service again. Canada trips etc.

Quote Originally Posted by AirForceAngler View Post
    Have you looked at the prices of the wifi plans? You're better off just hot-spotting one of your cell phones for data. And while I'm not totally positive, I do think that, yes, you have to have On-Star for the wifi.
    It's $25 a month...data on your phone is far more and usually limited on hot spot (as far as "high speed") https://my.chevrolet.com/how-to-supp...unlimited-data

The dealer "gave" us a year when we bought the tahoe last year. If you use the vehicle for work or with kids on the road a lot i can see it being worth it, but i doubt we renew it at the end of the year on a car that gets driven 3k miles a year tops.

My 10 year old was online school all last year and we traveled a lot... Unlimited data adds up. If you are going to use it, then its cheaper than att data...

Quote Originally Posted by The Bass Junkie View Post
    It's $25 a month...data on your phone is far more and usually limited on hot spot (as far as "high speed") https://my.chevrolet.com/how-to-supp...unlimited-data

The dealer "gave" us a year when we bought the tahoe last year. If you use the vehicle for work or with kids on the road a lot i can see it being worth it, but i doubt we renew it at the end of the year on a car that gets driven 3k miles a year tops.

My 10 year old was online school all last year and we traveled a lot... Unlimited data adds up. If you are going to use it, then its cheaper than att data...
    I believe that is a cost on top of your On Star subscription as well. I was trying to find a total cost of everything but a) their website sucks and b) you can't get anywhere unless you log in. This thread had me a bit interested as I have a 2016 Suburban with these capabilities. But if I can't even get a price without having to login, they can KMA.
    __________________________________________________ _____________
    2005 Lund Rebel SS 1650 w/25 HP Merc 4-stroke
    USAF 1985 - 2006 NKAWTG!

I dumped the On Star for $39/ month and bought unlimited car washes for $29 instead. Winning !!!
    You can lead a horticulture,
    but you can't make her think.

Quote Originally Posted by AirForceAngler View Post
    I believe that is a cost on top of your On Star subscription as well. I was trying to find a total cost of everything but a) their website sucks and b) you can't get anywhere unless you log in. This thread had me a bit interested as I have a 2016 Suburban with these capabilities. But if I can't even get a price without having to login, they can KMA.
    Interesting, thats where they are making it back then. I don't think we will renew, the kid has a hotspot on her phone as do we...

Quote Originally Posted by catjuggin View Post
    I dumped the On Star for $39/ month and bought unlimited car washes for $29 instead. Winning !!!
    your paint is getting nice and swirled in that auto car wash.....

Yes the on star is $34.99 by itself then $15 for 2gig or $25 for unlimited. But it does say existing att&t custermers can get it through them. But it doesn't say if you have to have on star plan for it to work.

13. Member
    I know this doesn't help, but I had wifi in my Mustang for free the entire time I had it.. but with modern devices, what on earth am I going to do with WIFI in a Mustang???? It isn't like ANYONE is riding in the back seat, ever.

14. Member
    I had a '16 and a '17 GMC Sierra and had the trucks wifi through AT&T for $20 bucks unlimited with no OnStar sub needed. I will say, my truck had reception in a lot of places my phone did not and this was good especially at my cabin.

15. Member
    I had the month free when I bought my truck last summer it was nice but didn't really need it. I got an email around black friday for unlimited for $20 a month, so I turned it on for a road trip we took in Dec. It was great for that, the wife watched tv on the ipad while I drove. I turned it off last month, but I may cancel the onstar and get the wifi back.

Wife is an onstar rep for the dealership she works at. She said yes you can get wifi only without the onstar for 25 plus tax a month.
    XPRESS H 18 SS, YAMAHA 115

Quote Originally Posted by BOATS View Post
    Wife is an onstar rep for the dealership she works at. She said yes you can get wifi only without the onstar for 25 plus tax a month.
    Thanks! I talked to at&t today and the guys there had no idea if I could.

18. Member
    I have WIFI only in my work truck, no onstar, $25.00 a month.

19. Member
    I've got the wifi on my 2017 and really like it. Only issue I have is when it loses connection to wifi it won't reconnect till I turn the truck off and turn it back on

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin R. View Post
    Yes the on star is $34.99 by itself then $15 for 2gig or $25 for unlimited. But it does say existing att&t custermers can get it through them. But it doesn't say if you have to have on star plan for it to work.
    This^^^^^^ except I get the unlimited wifi for $20. I have on star, SiriusXM, unlimited wifi on my wife’s and my trucks and can make calls from my truck’s phone number, but I do have AT&T. I can drop on star and keep the rest, because I’ve done it. But picked it back up when I’ve negotiated prices.

2008 BULLET 21XD 2007 Merc 300xs

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast