Starboard lean on 2007 tr196

My tr196 leans a lot especially with just me in boat.ordered 2 lithium troll. Mrt. Battery’s on port side I think this is going to make it worse thinking about moving start battery to center of boat like I seen in post .would get lithium for start battery but mercury doesn’t recommend lithium for start battery.Don’t want to mess up warranty on my 200 4 stroke any other any other ideas on how to get lean out.

2. Member
    My 2008 did the same thing. I moved the starting battery behind the trolling motor batteries. They were group 27. I took them out and installed a group 31 tray as far back as I could and put the battery in then reinstalled the 2 other batteries. This will not work if the trolling motor batteries are group 31. It helped a lot but then it leaned to the other side when I took my fat neighbor fishing. In either case. mine stopped leaning at about 25-30 MPH.

3. Member
    Thanks for info pop my battery’s are 27s no fat neighbor so might work for me

4. Member
    Mine does the same thing. Annoying for sure. I've moved all the heavy stuff to Port storage and still have lead batts. Still leans. I've learned, sorta, to live with it. Still annoying though. ;)
    2005 Triton TR-196
    1990 ProCraft ProCaster 180

5. Member
    My Tr-186 does the same thing.

6. Member
    2002 Tr186 does the same I have tried moving stuff around and after 19 years I have finally accepted it!!!

7. Member
    My 2007 196 does it as well. I have lithium everything. Im currently in the process of restoring mine. I cut out the fuel tank and had an aluminum one built cause I couldnt deal with the fuel permeation anymore. Im currently building a new driver console out of all glass to move some guages and switches around. I noticed when I went to take the tank out it was not mounted well and would rock a little like a see saw. Also it was off center by 3" to the starboard side. When I set the new tank and made sure it was centered and level. I spray foamed around the edges to lock it in so it wont shift. IDK if its gonna fix it but I will report back when I get it all finished in the next month.

8. Member
    Had a 20TRX do the same thing. I found that if you start trimming as soon as you plane over it stopped leaning.

9. Member
    Had a 2015 19TRX and completely loved everything about the boat... except the starboard lean under any throttle or trim levels. Couldn't trim, prop or adjust the JP out of the problem. Even at WOT and 69-70 MPH. Put all four batteries on the port side, moved the 4 bank charger that way also, and kept no gear in the stern starboard box or bilge area. Was horrible in crossing wind/waves. I lived with it for 4 years and recently sold the boat. Dealer wasn't any help other than helping me move batteries, work on JP levels, and a suggestion to put more weight in the stern port side corner. Have talked with other 19TRX owners and some had the lean... but none seemed to have it like I did. I'm 170lbs and with my 220lb brother in the passenger side it still had a pronounced lean.

10. Member
    Thanks for info lighting 6 sent pm don’t know if I did it right. But on center plate was thinking of putting wood strut in center underside to help support weight of battery which is 75lbs.

11. Member
    From all the info I am getting on lean it looks like moving things around is like pissin in the wind

12. Member
    Need to try to balance the boat. I add ballast to the port side to make up for the weight on the starboard side when fishing alone. (me) 200lbs. Or add water to the port livewell. I use a 3' level. Lithium batteries are great, but can make it harder to balance a boat.
    Keith Broussard Caney Lake, Louisiana
    2000 TR21 2000 Mercury 250 Pro XB OG980775 14" hydro plate

13. Member
    Well I am hold right now boat is in shop my 200 proxs 4 stroke came from factory with out no.#6 fireing changing plugs no.6 was as new as new plugs I was installing posted on Mercury site seems like info I got there was may be bad injector.

Quote Originally Posted by dett23 View Post
    From all the info I am getting on lean it looks like moving things around is like pissin in the wind
    Yep, the old Triton death lean lol. Pretty sure it's the torque and prop rotation the motor puts on the transom. A buddy of mine and myself have owned a few Triton's now and believe that the mounting holes in the transom seem to get ovaled out over time. You can get someone to push on the lower unit while you tighten the bolt's take it out and they ride flat. One or two trips out it's right back.
    22 Triton TRX20 22 Pro XS 250
    16 Triton 1760sc 16 Merc 75hp

15. Member
    I have owned 4 Tritons and I know how to fix the lean... Push right foot to the floor and hit the Trim button UP. Runs flat now.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim285pro View Post
    My 2007 196 does it as well. I have lithium everything. Im currently in the process of restoring mine. I cut out the fuel tank and had an aluminum one built cause I couldnt deal with the fuel permeation anymore. Im currently building a new driver console out of all glass to move some guages and switches around. I noticed when I went to take the tank out it was not mounted well and would rock a little like a see saw. Also it was off center by 3" to the starboard side. When I set the new tank and made sure it was centered and level. I spray foamed around the edges to lock it in so it wont shift. IDK if its gonna fix it but I will report back when I get it all finished in the next month.
    After getting mine back together Im happy to report that 90% of the list is gone. It still barely does it when coming off pad but its pretty much all gone when running low speeds and coming out of the hole. Even happier that I have no more fuel smell in my compartments.

17. Member
    Ditto for my 2005 196...lots of lean until you get it to 35+ speed. That hull was known for being very sensitive to running 'on the pad'. Mon Mariner has the right answer to fix it! lol

Tom Gates, 2005 Triton TR196DC LE, 200 Opti

I sure wish I had my 196 back. Leaned for sure but the solution has already been mentioned...accelerate then trim.

19. Member
    My 2011 21-HP leans hard, almost like it falls off to the left side but as soon as I get close to plane, I trim it fast and it pulls up level. It doesn't matter if I'm by myself or someone is with me, does the same thing.

20. Member
    Got everything moved moved starboard still have the lean most comes out on trim only had 1/2 tank gas the theory about gas shifting port when 1/2 filled my be some of problem going to get a loan and fill it up next time out.