Moving to Charlottesville, need help

I am moving from Ohio to Charlottesville. There doesn’t seem to be many lakes that allow higher HP boats in central VA besides Lake Anna. Are there any others near Cville? Will those electric only lakes allow me to just use my trolling motor? How is the kayak fishing? Anything else I should know? Thanks in advance!
    Matt

2. Champion Boats Moderator Lea's Avatar
    Welcome to Virginia. Check out Lake Moomaw which is southwest of Charlottesville. Near the WVA border. For canoe or kayak, the Upper James River is great, not far, and has some nice smallies!

Several more lakes for regular bass boats, as well as rivers...a bit further...Kerr, Gaston, Smith Mountain, South Holston, Claytor, Philpot. Some are more than a day trip, but a few are close enough.

Smith Mountain Lake, VA and a cottage in Ontario
    Charlottesville is 2 hours from the upper end of Smith Mountain Lake, not real close for a day trip but certainly doable. Of course it depends on just where in C'ville you are.

There are some pretty good tidal fishing areas with a couple of hours of Charlottesville, you may have heard of them==Potomac River and James/Chickahominy River.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

5. Member
    I was wonder more about closer fishing to Charlottesville. Wayne I actually messaged you on another fishing board as someone recommend me to do it because you have some info about the area.
    Matt

Quote Originally Posted by mattk22 View Post
    I was wonder more about closer fishing to Charlottesville. Wayne I actually messaged you on another fishing board as someone recommend me to do it because you have some info about the area.
    I got the message alert, but I don't waste my time on that childish site anymore.

Send me a PM on this site with specific water types you are looking for.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

You’re about 45 minutes from Lake Anna and about an hour to the James River, maybe 1.5 hours to the Chickahominy, 2 hours to the Potomac, 2 hours to SML, and about 2.5 hours to Buggs Island or Lake Gaston. If that’s not enough options then I’m not sure what you’re asking? I fish all of those regularly and day trips are easy. I fished Lake Anna for 7 hours yesterday and was home 2 hours before dinner.

Welcome to the area! I’m in Charlottesville pretty often, shoot me a PM if you need anything.
    2022 Skeeter ZXR20
    Yamaha 250 SHO

8. Member
    I live in Charlottesville and fish all of the local lakes. shoot me a pm..I might not know as much as Wayne but I know a little bit :)

9. Member
    All the "local" small reservoirs are used for water supply, thus electric only. Yes you can have an outboard on the boat. Upper James and Shenandoah rivers great for kayaking and Small mouth. The drive to the tidal rivers and other lakes can be worth it. Anna can be great Sept-May. The boat traffic is bad in the summer months

10. Member
    Thanks guys. PSU I sent you a PM
    Matt

Smith Mountain Lake, VA and a cottage in Ontario
    Quote Originally Posted by mattk22 View Post
    Thanks guys. PSU I sent you a PM
    Welcome to the area, you will have a diversity of choices for fishing!

12. Member
    You'll love C-ville. Great place to live. And, you'll have some of the best trout fishing opportunities in Virginia in your backyard.