Mercury 150 XR6 - speedometer and tachometer

<0T468509>

My speedometer has worked maybe 1 or 2 times since I’ve had my boat (2002 procraft 185) in 2015. My rpm gauge worked for a while but now it’s stopped running. Curious on how to get these back up and running?
    Last edited by EuropeanAM; 02-28-2021 at 11:13 AM.

2. Member
    The speedometer is hooked to a tube that goes to you motor into the lower unit. there is small hole in the leading edge of the lower unit that water pushes in and this creates air pressure in the tube which is how the speedometer works. Tube is probably loose in the lower unit or going from the cowling to the lower u it, they are notorious for that and that’s why I just use the speed off my gps and don’t worry about that speedometer anymore. The tach works off the regulator on your motor, usually a grey wire. Your motor may have two regulators, you can move wire from one to the other to test. There is a dial switch on back of tach, look at the current setting, use a small screwdriver and turn it back and forth between all the settings, then put back on initial setting. This can help
    clean the contacts in the tachometer to fix an erratic tach, but usually not one that doesn’t work at all.

Also, please provide your serial number as required in the faq for posting, helps greatly with the most accurate help.
    Mercury 2002 200hp Carbed Saltwater
    OT566776
    2002 Cape Horn 22' Bay

3. Member
    Serial# is OT468509
    Last edited by bama_bassin; 02-27-2021 at 10:57 PM.

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Good advice above (and response provided in your other post).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

5. Member
    Thanks Leon. How do I gain access to the tachometer? I can’t get to it underneath.

6. Member
    That I don’t know on your boat, does the panel the tach is mounted in come off?

there is a procraft sub forum here that they should be able to tell you how to access it.
    Mercury 2002 200hp Carbed Saltwater
    OT566776
    2002 Cape Horn 22' Bay