Installing 250 4 stroke

Thinking about upgrading my 2004 225 Optimax with a new 4stroke 250. Are there any extra materials needed for install? Wire harness or anything? If so, estimated cost of materials?

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    If you would, please take a moment to review the Announcements at the top of the Forum, and be sure to provide the Required Info (serial number) when posting. Thanks!

This will depend on exactly what rigging you currently have in your boat, and what the condition of that rigging is.

Definite needs that are common include:

-Rigging Tube Kit (different)

-Keyswitch Harness Extension (minimum of 5')

-Adapter Harness for keyswitch (or simply eliminate above item and run new switch/harness)

-Platinum-Grade throttle cable (achieving WOT throttle requires everything available from a hotfoot with no wear/tear)

-If Throttle/Shift Control and cable are worn- replacements

-AGM Battery of at least 975 CCA

-Smartcraft Instrument or Device (Strongly Recommended)

-3/8" Fuel line direct to engine with no additional filters

-Steering Cylinder (depending on what one you had, and the condition/wear to it)

-Mounting Hardware Kit (with specific hardened washers if on a jackplate).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. Member
    (achieving WOT throttle requires everything available from a hotfoot with no wear/tear)

Don;

Maybe you could elaborate on how to setup a hotfoot for the newer 4S motors?

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    I could certainly put together a how-to for that, when I get a little bit of spare time. The catch: Very few will actually have the necessary Laptop Software to verify the setup.

VERY similar to previous models EXCEPT that the hotfoot's IDLE STOP needs to be set about as far back as is physically possible. Spring tension needs to be tight enough to snap the hotfoot all the way back.

This is critical to have adequate throw to be able to reach the WOT position (100% Demand Linear).

Also- Top-Load hotfoot models built prior to 2020 may require modification (or replacement with a later hotfoot) to achieve full-travel.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor