Ultrex cable jacket pulled out

My Ultrex cable jacket has pulled out of the cover at the head of the unit (it's called the coil cord cover, item 324, in the schematic I'm looking at). About 1/4" of the enclosed wires are exposed. Is this more than cosmetic? Is this something you would repair? I really appreciate any advice. Thanks!

2. Member
    What year is your TM? I have a 2017 Ultrex and cable jacket has separated about a 1/2" from the cover at top. There are some that have completely removed that jacket and are using different covers like the T-H Marine Troll Jacket. Not sure if that would void the warranty or not. My local ASC guy told me not to worry about it.
    Wes
    Helix 10 MSI+,MDI+,Ultrex IPilot
    2023 Phoenix 818
    Never assume there's a tomorrow

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ezfishn View Post
    What year is your TM? I have a 2017 Ultrex and cable jacket has separated about a 1/2" from the cover at top. There are some that have completely removed that jacket and are using different covers like the T-H Marine Troll Jacket. Not sure if that would void the warranty or not. My local ASC guy told me not to worry about it.

I purchased the unit in June, 2018.

4. Member
    I had heard they had changed the cover material from the original ones but not sure when. Since yours is still under warranty, you could ask your ASC about replacing it.
    Wes
    2023 Phoenix 818

5. Member
    I had heard they had changed the cover material from the original ones but not sure when. Since yours is still under warranty, you could ask your ASC about replacing it.
    Thanks for the info. I'll give our local ASC a call Monday.

On a good warm sunny day remove any and all zip ties from your cable and slide it back up. Or use hot water to soften it to slide up.
    G3 HP180
    Yamaha 115 4 Stroke

7. Member
    I just had the new and improved softer/flexible cable assembly installed by a Approved Service Center in Houston area. It is 100% better than the old plastic sleeve. Was replaced under warranty as well.

8. Member
    does the new cover give it more flex? i'm always fighting my ultrex cable getting on top of my screens and not laying flat.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by buckmaster27012 View Post
    does the new cover give it more flex? i'm always fighting my ultrex cable getting on top of my screens and not laying flat.
    Yes, no comparisons. It's like comparing a a steel rod to a rubber hose!!! I was able to get mine to lay correctly with my BBT dual head mount on my Z520L. The plastic sleeve caused the cover to break and would lock up my trolling motor unless the cable was in one exact spot. And, when it was cold, forget it flexing. Not sure what the material of the new sleeve is, but it seems to be some sort of rubber, not plastic.

Must be a very recent release, I went into Bass Pro in Katy and looked at all the boats with Ultrex on them, each of them had the older style hard sleeve. My ACS actually replaced the entire cable assembly, not just the outer sleeve which would have been a lot of work.

Quote Originally Posted by RGK456 View Post
    Yes, no comparisons. It's like comparing a a steel rod to a rubber hose!!! I was able to get mine to lay correctly with my BBT dual head mount on my Z520L. The plastic sleeve caused the cover to break and would lock up my trolling motor unless the cable was in one exact spot. And, when it was cold, forget it flexing. Not sure what the material of the new sleeve is, but it seems to be some sort of rubber, not plastic.

Must be a very recent release, I went into Bass Pro in Katy and looked at all the boats with Ultrex on them, each of them had the older style hard sleeve. My ACS actually replaced the entire cable assembly, not just the outer sleeve which would have been a lot of work.
    Not sure what the ASC told you-- to replace the sleeve you only take the assembly loose on one end.
    I replaced my original with the heavy duty weave before MK did the upgrade.. Made a world of difference.

11. Member
    They have also changed the steering cable assy since I bought mine.
    Wes
    2023 Phoenix 818

They have also changed the steering cable assy since I bought mine.
    yes sir.. they changed that not to long after they came out. the originals were breaking.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fishnfireman View Post
    Not sure what the ASC told you-- to replace the sleeve you only take the assembly loose on one end.
    I replaced my original with the heavy duty weave before MK did the upgrade.. Made a world of difference.
    They had a brand new assembly, it was just what he wanted to do vs replace the sleeve. Didn't cost me a dime either way. Now I have brand new cables and sleeve...........

Quote Originally Posted by RGK456 View Post
    They had a brand new assembly, it was just what he wanted to do vs replace the sleeve. Didn't cost me a dime either way. Now I have brand new cables and sleeve...........
    "Win Win" for you..

15. Member
    I think I've only been lucky because I don't put the hours in fishing that most do. The boat is going in the shop in a couple of weeks and plan to get it updated finally before I do have a problem....LOL
    Wes
    2023 Phoenix 818