Hook Hanger Thoughts

I got a couple of LEW's Mach Crush spinning rods. The green ones. Love the rods, first fish was a 3+ on first cast. That bein said, the hook hangers are on bottom of rod just behind reel seat. This is right where you normally grab a rod when picking it up off your deck. Twice this week, the one I had a jerkbait on, I almost rammed a treble into my hand. I don't understand why companies try to build a better mouse trap with their hook hangers. Put the dang thing in front of the reel opposite side of the line and all is good. Open loop hanger too. None of those closed loops than won't accept a texas rigged bait. Rant over.
    2017 Phoenix 618Pro

I won't buy a rod with a hook hanger below the reel.

3. Member
    I like the hook hanger under the reel. Less chance of the hooks snagging on the rod sock.

4. Member
    I like it above the rod for that exactly reason. Having it below the rod increases the chance for a hook in the hand imo. The only time I like a keeper below the handle is on a dropshot rod and it’s just for the weight itself not the hook.

I won’t ever buy a rod with a keeper below the handle. Just another reason why I started making my own rods cause There’s always something about mass produced rods that I don’t like regardless of how small of a factor it might be
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

5. Member
    I just bought a new Megabass Levante. It also has the hook keeper on the back of the rod below the reel seat. I nearly grabbed a handful of trebles the first time I picked it up. I put a Fuji keeper on mine right away.

6. Member
    My spinning rods I add a keep on the handle behind the reel, and cut the other one off. As far as casting reels it depends what it is, if it is a texas rig or jig rod I like it behind the reel, treble hook baits go in front of the reel on a closed keeper.
    Fish have fins, they swim

7. Member
    This is never as big a deal as peeps make it out to be...a few good wraps of braid on a preferred-placement of a small split ring, and light brush of enamel to hold the braid in place if you like, cures all ills. For those that want to hang a t-rig with the hook still buried in the plastic, replace the split ring with a snap.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dragon1 View Post
    This is never as big a deal as peeps make it out to be...a few good wraps of braid on a preferred-placement of a small split ring, and light brush of enamel to hold the braid in place if you like, cures all ills. For those that want to hang a t-rig with the hook still buried in the plastic, replace the split ring with a snap.
    Good thoughts.
    2017 Phoenix 618Pro

These work well, just put one where you want it.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DRJ5QTC...roduct_details

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by basscat21 View Post

Nice option...thanks for sharing.

11. Member
    This works like the Fuji keeper I put on my rod, except the Fuji doesn't have the magnet, which I wouldn't use anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by basscat21 View Post