2018 Lynx analog to Smart Craft gauge

So I just recently replaced my factory analog tach with a sc1000 mercury monitor. I am now going to replace the other 3 gauges (PSI, Trim, Fuel) to smart craft gauges. My question is how will the fuel gauge need to be hooked up due to it needing to read both tanks. I’m also repowering to a new 4s. Not sure if that info matters. Thanks for the help.
    Last edited by RTRCraft; 02-27-2021 at 06:43 AM.

2. Member
    Post on the Mercury 4s board. Don and can give you the accurate information and provide the proper parts and guidance on the conversion.

The installation is fairly simple but you will need a few additional things. The new 4s does not come with a digital water pressure sensor. It is easily accessed and replaced. The fuel input needs an additional Fuel/Paddle wheel harness. It has leads for two tanks and connects to the fuel senders in the tanks. There are two options here. (1) Use both leads in the harness and use 2 fuel level gauges. You can get gauges labeled “Tank 1” and “Tank 2” and is the simplest option IMO. (2) You run both leads to the touch pad on the dash, so that it functions as it does now. There is actually a third option and that is to just leave the fuel system as it is now. It will not feed the Mercmonitor but you will still get fuel used data. The trim gauge will function with the sensor that comes with the new motor.

I have done option 1 and 3. Currently I am using option 3 on my Caracal and it works just fine. I reset my fuel used at each fill up and check it through out the day. I have fuel used as one of my favorites screens so it can be easily accessed.

One thing you did not mention but IMO, you need to hook up the Mercmonitor to your NMEA network. You can then put some overlays your FF units and have GPS inputs to your Mercmonitor. If you do this and install the fuel harness, your Mercmonitor will do range and mpg calculations too. This also opens up replacing the factory Speedo with a Systemlink Speedo that will be fed by the GPS. This gets rid of all the tubing out of the boat and prevents any freezing issues.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 06 SB View Post
    The installation is fairly simple but you will need a few additional things. The new 4s does not come with a digital water pressure sensor. It is easily accessed and replaced. The fuel input needs an additional Fuel/Paddle wheel harness. It has leads for two tanks and connects to the fuel senders in the tanks. There are two options here. (1) Use both leads in the harness and use 2 fuel level gauges. You can get gauges labeled “Tank 1” and “Tank 2” and is the simplest option IMO. (2) You run both leads to the touch pad on the dash, so that it functions as it does now. There is actually a third option and that is to just leave the fuel system as it is now. It will not feed the Mercmonitor but you will still get fuel used data. The trim gauge will function with the sensor that comes with the new motor.

I have done option 1 and 3. Currently I am using option 3 on my Caracal and it works just fine. I reset my fuel used at each fill up and check it through out the day. I have fuel used as one of my favorites screens so it can be easily accessed.

One thing you did not mention but IMO, you need to hook up the Mercmonitor to your NMEA network. You can then put some overlays your FF units and have GPS inputs to your Mercmonitor. If you do this and install the fuel harness, your Mercmonitor will do range and mpg calculations too. This also opens up replacing the factory Speedo with a Systemlink Speedo that will be fed by the GPS. This gets rid of all the tubing out of the boat and prevents any freezing issues.
    06 SB--- I really appreciate the info. So as of right now I have the SC1000 MercMonitor that is hooked up to NMEA2000. I did not have the fuel harness hooked to it because I just utilized the analog fuel gauge. Utilizing the touchpad to switch between each tank for the one gauge (smaller 52mm gauge). I am replacing the remaining 3 gauges (Fuel, trim and PSI) to the black system link gauges. I will include a picture. From doing research it looks as if these gauges are set up to be daisy chained together. My question is how the fuel gauge will need to be set up to allow me to utilize the touch pad to switch between tanks on that single gauge just like the analog gauge from the factory. I am not wanting to get fuel reading on the Mercmonitor only the fuel gauge. I hope that makes sense.

I understand what you want and it can be done but that is the only way I have NOT tried yet. I would try to talk to a BCB dealer or even one of the rigging folks at the factory to see how to hook it up properly through the touch pad. It should be a relatively simple process.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 06 SB View Post
    I understand what you want and it can be done but that is the only way I have NOT tried yet. I would try to talk to a BCB dealer or even one of the rigging folks at the factory to see how to hook it up properly through the touch pad. It should be a relatively simple process.
    Roger. I really appreciate your input. I thought I might try to give BCB a call on monday.

This is a thread on the first time I did it on a 2010 P2. I utilized 2 fuel gauges though. Most of the info will be germane but the trim questions are not.

http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread....ghlight=analog

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal

8. Member
    Awesome! Thank you sir.

One more thing I forgot to add is that the daisy chained fittings are only a few inches long. If you need to stretch across the dash, you may need to buy an extension. They are not expensive.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal