Thread: Cooler

Cooler

I’m not too impressed with their cooler - stuff gets warm. So I tried something- bought some “dynamat” that is used in hot rods to insulate firewalls and floor - lined the inside( it’s self adhesive and closed cell foam so it’s waterproof) - took the factory insulation off the lid and replaced it with dyna mat - BIG difference- just a tip... get the stuff for heat and not sound deadening

2. Member
    I used hvac tape before...made a big diff in the cooler on my Stratos
    Jimmy
    Phoenix 721
    12" Bobs Hydro Plate
    Mercury 300 Xs
    Dave Bush Racing Kit
    28.5 Bravo

3. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    I bought some clear storage "shoe boxes" from Dollar General and freeze water in them and use those blocks of ice in mine. All my stuff will stay pretty cold all day. I dont ever use the bag ice as that will melt within hours.
    YOU are not entitled to what I have earned!!!!!

2014 Phoenix 619 Pro / 2014 Mercury 200 Pro XS

4. Member
    https://coolershock.com/

these work great !! And they come in different sizes- buy them on Amazon

5. Member
    I stuff a soft side cooler bag in mine with 2 bottles of frozen water in it. Works like a charm.

if trying to dump a 20# bag of ice in it, I agree it needs mods to make that practical
    2024 Phoenix 818
    2024 merc 175 pro xs 3B411947

6. Member
    I throw the large Yeti ice block in mine fits perfect and keeps everything cold.
    A.J. Kelty Versailles KY
    2021 Phoenix 920 Elite

7. Smallmouth Junkie!
    I put a plug in mine and store soft plastics in Ziploc bags in there. Then I got a YETTI flip for a cooler. That way I can take it with me in the truck on the ride home. Easier clean up too.
    2012 Phoenix 721 pro xp / 250hp SHO
    2003 Skeeter TZX-190 / 150hp OX66

8. Member
    Mine works great in my 919, even in desert heat of summer. All I do is but a frozen gallon jug of water in the night before. Fill it in the mornings before derbys and plug the cooler. Works great.

In the heat of the summer, I just freeze a case of bottle water and put another case in the fridge. Before going fishing, I put half frozen and half cold in the cooler. By mid day, the frozen ones are just starting to thaw. When I drink my last thawed one, I set out a frozen one. I sweat a lot and have to drink a lot. I don't like the idea of wasting cooler space with frozen blocks of ice.

Quote Originally Posted by Billbobclark View Post
    I’m not too impressed with their cooler - stuff gets warm. So I tried something- bought some “dynamat” that is used in hot rods to insulate firewalls and floor - lined the inside( it’s self adhesive and closed cell foam so it’s waterproof) - took the factory insulation off the lid and replaced it with dyna mat - BIG difference- just a tip... get the stuff for heat and not sound deadening
    What model year is your Phoenix? Is Phoenix not insulating the coolers?
    There was a time that I didn't fish but I cannot remember it.

11. Member
    Mine is a 2017 21 PHX. Can’t see if it’s surrounded with insulation cause it’s built in but the lid has a layer- loaned my boat out to a buddy that’s always owned Rangers... he said “ Phoenix makes a great boat ! But their cooler sucks ! “ I had to agree. My soft sided bag I use for my old tracker holds ice better. Don’t get me wrong- I love my boat - just surprised the cooler is lacking. It could use improvements if they haven’t already in later models

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by davidsa View Post
    I stuff a soft side cooler bag in mine with 2 bottles of frozen water in it. Works like a charm.

if trying to dump a 20# bag of ice in it, I agree it needs mods to make that practical
    I do the same, a cheapy one I found that was only a few bucks, an ice block in the bottom and all is well. Never have to empty the ice machine or buy bags.

13. Member
    why not install one of those live well vents that go in the lid?
    "Everyone should believe in something; I believe I'll go fishing."

-Henry David Thoreau

Men and fish are alike. They both get into trouble when they open their mouths

author unknown

2015 Phoenix 919 225 Yamaha SHO

Quote Originally Posted by Billbobclark View Post
    Where did you get the dynamat stuff?
    2021 Phoenix 721 Pro XP

Mine works great in 90degree+ heat. as long as I don't fill it with warm drinks. I take my drinks from the fridge and put in it and pour a bag of ice over them and at the end of the day it is still 50/50 ice and water.

16. Member
    Yeah It gets plenty hot in south GA and I don't have an issue with it plugged with a bag of ice and cold snacks to drink!

Great idea with the dynamat! Gonna try that in my Champ.

18. Member
    Can probably get dynamat on Amazon or summit racing or jegs - any hot rod website. Make sure you get the stuff for HEAT ! cause the also sell a version for just sound deadening. Can also buy the special foil tape and seal all the edges together. It’s closed cell foam so it’s waterproof. I also removed the factory lid insulation and replaced it with Dynamat. It’s used in hot rods to keep the heat from the engine getting into the cockpit- you put it on the inside firewall. I used cardboard and made templates (4) from the inside and put the dynamat on the inside
    Last edited by Billbobclark; 03-11-2021 at 03:56 PM.

Mine has never had a issue, but I never brake the bag of ice open. Put everything I want for the day and set the bag of ice on top. Most of the time I have some ice left to put in my beer cooler at the end of the day.