Thread: 4.8" or 5.44"

4.8" or 5.44"

Looking at a used L6 300 and I can get it with a 4.8" or the 5.44" gearcase. My boat is about 3300 lbs, 23 footer daycruiser and it will probably do about 60-70mph. The 4.8" is faster but the 5.44" is bullet proof. I don't abuse any of my things, no jumping in waves and I don't ride any big open waters. If I add some cash I can get it with a TM also. What gearcase would you choose?
    I dont have a serial number sorry, the engine is sold in 2018.

Thanks!

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    For that application the 5.44 option would be good. See if you can get the serial number- as it may provide more info on options.

There wasn’t a TM option for the L6 (though it’s theoretically possible to build one with parts from two engine series). I wouldn’t be inclined to do that for an L6 application.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. Member
    Is my boat to heavy for the 4.8"?

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    No- but you will benefit from the larger, more-durable gearset and case.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

5. Member
    So, if I want the extra speed the 4.8" will hold up on my boat and would be fine to use, the 5.44" is just an even more bullet proof choice? Is it correct that the 5.44" is 2-3mph slower then the 4.8"?

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    That depends on the application. Larger-heavier boats may actually perform better with the 5.44" gearcase (whereas smaller/faster rigs may benefit from the 4.8").

It's all in the APPLICATION.

7. Member
    Yes I understand it all depends on application but for my application would the 4.8" work good and hold up. Not my boat but the same model. What would you go for?

8. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    It will run with either... I personally think the 5.44 would be a good choice.

9. Member
    Ok. Thanks for your comments and time!