2002 225hp Vmax OX66

What is the best way to lift motor from boat to install new jackplate. Is the a lift ring kit for the flywheel or is there a good way if no lift ring kit. Thanks

What is wrong with the hoop that is already on the motor? Thats how I have lifted many Yamahas.

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

3. Member
    Didn't know there was a hoop, Is it on flywheel or block

4. Member

5. Member
    Thanks Yam911 & 21xdc.

6. Member
    FWIW, careful when removing mounting bolts using that lifting loop, depending on position of the motor, it may want to swing one direction or the other and get into something before you realize what is going on. My old Mercury outboards always seemed to balance nicely on the lifting ring.
    2004 Ranger 519VX
    Yamaha VMAX 200HP OX66

7. Member
    Just put a Bob's Action plate on mine the other day and had to pull my OX66. I run a chain off of the lifting hoop and then I run a choker strap under the front section of the motor and hook both the choker strap and the chain to the hook on my chain fall. It seems to come off without tilting quite as much by adding the choker strap. If you have issues getting the motor at the correct angle to remount to the plate due to the the transom / plate being at one angle and the motor hanging at a different angle, just hook power and the trim wires back up on the motor and trim the engine mounting bracket to match the jack plate angle. It's a lot easier than trying to shove the motor around to get the angles to match. When I started typing this, I could have sworn that I had a picture on my phone of my motor hanging in the manner that I described. however, it appears that I deleted it. I will attach an image with an arrow that shows where I normally run the choker strap on the motor. It is between the mount bracket and the mid section so that any weight that it supports is on the steel steering rod that runs down through the mid section.
    Attached Images Attached Images

8. Member
    Thanks for the help got the jackplate swapped out last night everything went well, the choker strap was a great idea. It kept the motor from wanting to tilt.

9. Member
    Good deal. Glad you got it swapped out.