Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Winchester 6.8 Western

Anyone been following the release of the new Winchester 6.8 Western?

Made to compete with the 6.5 Creedmoore, on paper it seems to best the creedmoore by a small margin.

2. Member
    It has peaked my interest, mainly for the bullet weight. I hunt with a 6.5 and have retired all my other rifles, but I really aim to get a 6.8 in Browning's Hell's Canyon once this Gun and ammo BS is over for ELK.

3. Member
    I bought a Browning HC speed last year (.270) for my son’s HS graduation gift. I too would like one in the 6.8.

All of my research has proven the 6.8western to stomp the 6.5creed, now a 6.5 prc is still a bit off from the 6.8western. A 300wm or a 300wsm is only fractionally better with more recoil is virtually pointless for hunting given the bullet weights in the 6.8western.

Now given if I did not have a 300wsm already a 6.8western would make that a not required tool, and I would jump up to 338norma, but since I have 300wsm I'll probably not buy a 6.8western. This is what the 270wsm should have been in the first place.
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

just another "new" round to try and boost sales .

6. Member
    An answer in search of a problem.

7. Banned

Body in North GA (Lake Lanier) - Heart in KS
    7mm Rem Mag!
    2008 ChampioN 198 / 225 Opti ProXS! 1999 187 DC Elite / Merc 175 efi & 1989 184 DCR /Merc 175 xri

Quote Originally Posted by BOW4UM View Post
    7mm Rem Mag!
    I got my 7rm threaded. Man is it enjoyable, to shoot now. I have a triggertech trigger coming for it. Should make it all the better.

Body in North GA (Lake Lanier) - Heart in KS
    For out west the 7mm Just kicks butt. Guys I run with all seem to not like the 6.5 for longer shots. To many animals hurt?

Quote Originally Posted by yetti462 View Post
    I got my 7rm threaded. Man is it enjoyable, to shoot now. I have a triggertech trigger coming for it. Should make it all the better.
    2008 ChampioN 198 / 225 Opti ProXS! 1999 187 DC Elite / Merc 175 efi & 1989 184 DCR /Merc 175 xri

11. Member
    I have 3 x bolts, 308, 6.5,and 26 nosler, I grab the 308 almost every time. But I'm only shooting whitetail. That 26 will hammer them pretty good though.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoomworms View Post
    I have 3 x bolts, 308, 6.5,and 26 nosler, I grab the 308 almost every time. But I'm only shooting whitetail. That 26 will hammer them pretty good though.
    I've got 2 X bolts. , .243, .270. But I've never had a Win. Model 70. If you've ever had a Model 70 how would you compare the two? The Winchester has a controlled round feed vs Browning push feed. The browning has 60 degree bolt rotation vs 90 on the Win., and the Browning has detachable magazines, which I like. But something about the Model 70 keeps me intrigued.

Not to interrupt zoomworms, but I have a model70 243. I am very fond of it. I have shot it more than my xbolt 6.5. Both are very comparable. I'll pick the 70 only because I've had it longer and shot it more. Better trigger. I did change the spring in xbolt and trigger is now under 2#.

Both are very nice rifles, can't go wrong with either.

14. Member
    I think my next rifle will be a Model 70 in a .243 caliber. Sort of a dual use rifle for both Deer and Coyote's.

15. Hunting & Gun Lodge Moderator Roddy's Avatar
    I have 25-06, 6.5 creedmore, 270, and 308 and 300 win mag. I will probably pass
    SIMMONS CUSTOM BOATS
    Anderson Services LLC
    " Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't"

Bring Back Gluten!!!

16. Honda / Raymarine Moderator Hickory Legend's Avatar
    Hard enough to find ammo thats been out for 70 years. Can only think trying to find this ammo for this. Best would be a Mosin that you can find ammo for at .60 a round. should take down most animals. Others would be a 30.06 or .308 unless you are reloading it. Then finding components. Just saying.

Actually I see several boxes of this in a few different stores. I kinda wish they would pump it out and rifles, would be comical watching them artificially inflating the ammo sales by supply and people would buy tons of guns too.

18. Member
    My father and I have hunted with the 270WSM since it came out in the early 00's. The one thing that I've felt held this round back was a barrel twist rate fast enough to handle a heavier bullet than a traditional 270 bullet (150g). So this should be the answer to that. Hopefully this means they start offering barrels with a faster twist rate for the WSM round as well. I think there's definitely a demand for longer range, flatter shooting bullets out there, that offer a larger caliber without being a magnum cartridge. Hopefully this cartridge does well.

Quote Originally Posted by Hickory Legend View Post
    Hard enough to find ammo thats been out for 70 years. Can only think trying to find this ammo for this.
    Winchester actually did this one right. Production rifles for this rifle are still in the pre-order stage (only a few have actually trickled out to market so far. However, they have had the ammo for this rifle for sale and its readily available since they released this cartridge. So if you know you want this rifle, you can buy the ammo now before you even get the rifle.

Hornady kinda did the same thing when they released the 6mm ARC. Manufacturers are starting to catch on finally.

My interpretation is this is what the 270wsm should have been but since many consumers don't understand barrel twist rates and ammo selection they basically feel they needed to reintroduce it under a new name so people wouldn't buy 270wsm in 180g and shoot terribly out of a gun built for 130-150.

I kinda wish they would produce piles of ammo and guns in this caliber right now it would make it penetrate into the market much much more and make it more viable so they stay with it and produce more bullets.

20. Hunting & Gun Lodge Moderator Roddy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishysam View Post
    My interpretation is this is what the 270wsm should have been but since many consumers don't understand barrel twist rates and ammo selection they basically feel they needed to reintroduce it under a new name so people wouldn't buy 270wsm in 180g and shoot terribly out of a gun built for 130-150.

I kinda wish they would produce piles of ammo and guns in this caliber right now it would make it penetrate into the market much much more and make it more viable so they stay with it and produce more bullets.
    barrel twist rates are also what held the 25-06 back from heavier bullets.
    SIMMONS CUSTOM BOATS
    Anderson Services LLC
    " Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't"

Bring Back Gluten!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast