Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    The history is correct. When I started bass fishing about 50 yrs. ago RH was about all that was offered. Now LH is the way to go, but not me. Guess I am weird. Most anyone can teach themselves to cast left handed which I have. It also helps with the fatigue factor, you have the option of either hand.
    I want our country back !!!

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by stratos284 View Post
    As a lefty No. I hold the fork in my right hand like convict in the mess hall in maximum security prison and cut with my left.
    same, i eat like someone is going to steal my plate. bad analogy i guess, but i am just used to casting and switching hands.

3. Member
    Some people like me are right handed, but cast a baitcaster with my left hand on the trigger and right hand on the butt of the rod. Once the bait hits the water, it's simply a move of the right hand to the reel handle...
    1994 Ranger 492VS
    2004 Optimax 225 - 0T920364
    6" Hydro Dynamics Manual Jack Plate
    24p Fury 4
    24v 47" Lowrance Ghost / Lowrance HDS

4. Losing fish by the pound. CDN Bass's Avatar
    Cast with right, crank with left... both spinning and casting. Left handed baitcasters were hard to find in the late 80's. Only Quantum made them.

With a left hand baitcaster you always have your hand on the rod and reel. Cast right/reel left. There is a delay with a right hand cast, and a switch to holding the rod with your left to crank right. Might lose that instant splash bite. Some pros cast left and reel right.

It's all up to you.
    Maple syrup... I put that sh*t on everything!
    '09 Stratos 201 XL EVO DC | 250 Pro XS | Razor 4 25P | 6" JP | 10' Talons Gen 2 | 112# Ultrex | Lowrance C12 x 4 | AT | '16 RAM Rebel

5. Member
    I cast with left hand and reel with my right. Never swap hand.
    Praying for a Cure

6. Banned
    For you right handed reelers, I once was a right handed reeler myself but since it made so much sense, I eventually bought a left handed reel and forced myself to get used to it ..... it doesn't take long to get used to it and you will be happy that you made the switch, specially if you flip docks, plus it gives you a good reason to phase out all of your current reels and buy new ones.

Personal preference and how you started... I started with left handed spinning reels and spincast at age 4, so it was a natural progression to do the same for baitcasters years later. although I remember it being almost impossible to find them in a left hand retrieve. In reflection, I don't understand why anyone would want to hold the rod with their less dominant, weaker arm/hand, but again it's personal preference. I can use a right-handed if need be, but I can't stand it on bigger fish like Sturgeon or Musky. My fishing partner chirps at me constantly about it.

8. Member
    Goes back to the UK. Remember they drive on the wrong side of the road.

9. Member
    All the really good reels have the option to put the crank handle on either side.

10. Member
    I'm a righty....

I did the left/right challenge in the early 2000's to make sure I knew what felt better for me on the turn before investing in numerous setups.

Started out turning right of course...

Switched and committed to lefts for 6-7 months or so...

The Verdict: Turning right by FAR was my choice. Turning left came to be unorthodox for me on hooksets and detecting bites w/ bait casts. My right arm also punk'd out with turning a bait cast all day during this trial, which is odd, considering I'm right handed..... it definitely got fatigued faster than my left arm to turn right.

I do turn left on the spin. Will never switch to righty on my drop shot!

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BigFishSteve View Post
    All the really good reels have the option to put the crank handle on either side.
    I tell ya what them Zebcos are the cat's meow.

12. Member
    Cast and reel with the right hand....for me its easier to lip a fish with my right hand and hold the rod away with my left����

13. Member
    Flip and pitch with left hand crank, cast with right hand crank. Spinning all left hand and fly rod is auto rewind, hit the lever with either hand.

I once worked with an old German fellow, probably the smartest individual I have ever met. He said " everyone is born left handed, only the best have overcome it"

14. Member
    I was one of those that casted with the right and switched the rod over to the left hand, probably about 10 years ago now I forced myself to get some left handed reels and cast right/reel left. Didn't take long to get used to it. The only right handed reels I use now are for flipping and pitching, for some reason my left hand is more accurate and subtle with those presentations. Being a drummer for 40+ years, pretty good with either hand and many tasks, switch my knife and fork around because it feels more natural to cut meat with my left hand.

Great way to keep your buddies from using your stuff, left handed reels!
    Last edited by mean_dean; 03-03-2021 at 03:58 PM.

I could not get used to a left hand casting reel ,spinning yes, casting no. I tried it a few times but kept wanting to switch hands so I gave the reel to my team partner.

Quote Originally Posted by duncankopprichardson View Post
    do you switch hands after cutting steak and eating ?
    YES

17. Member
    What is there to understand? The crank is on the right side?
    Pool 10

18. Banned
    [QUOTE=Mc Gregor;11732676]What is there to understand? /QUOTE]
    Right 6 pages and who cares?

crank how you like 😂

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456