Any insight for a newby?

I have been shopping around for my first boat for months. I am going tomorrow to look at a 2013 Skeeter TZX190 with a Yamaha 175 HPDI. Motor has 225 hrs on it. It has the Ultrex & nice birds on it already which I like. Do any of you experienced individuals have any inside info about this boat? What are your thoughts on a unit like this? Thanks in advance for the insight!

2. Member
    Make sure you check the bottom of the boat to make sure there is no damage other than the normal scratches. Check the trailer to make sure that it's in good shape. If there is a local dealer I would set up a time to have them check the motor out. You want to make sure it has good compression on all cylinders, no leaks, etc. That's not a lot of hours so that is a plus. Finally there is no way I would purchase a used boat without getting it on the lake for a test run. I don't have any specific experience with the Skeeter brand but know a bunch of guys who run them. I would also check out the Skeeter part of the forum to get more information.

3. Member
    skeeter forum down below this area also
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

4. Member
    This isn't the check the compression, get it on the water, how many hours type of advice. If at any point you don't feel comfortable with what is going on don't buy it. I made three trips of over 8 hrs before I bought my boat. It's not as "perfect" as the others I looked at but the seller told me ALL the issues with it. I haven't found anything he didn't tell me about. The other sellers made me feel like they were hiding something.

5. Member
    So, back up a bit. What size waters will you fish? style of fishing? Alone or with others? Are you handy mechanically? Is there a Yamaha certified mechanic reasonably close to you? You will have issues, you will need regular maintenance. Have you been around boats alot and just never had one, or are you an absolute novice? Do you have a family that you may want to take tubing/skiing, or just cruising? Fishing Tx's? Getting a good deal on a boat that doesn't match your usage is a boat that will sit there and if you don't realize the amount a boat costs to own, you will struggle. I am best friends with a mobile marine mechanic and he is constantly being begged to fix things on the cheap, set holding a boat for months and out large cashflow while owners save money to pay for repair ect. BOAT stands for "Break Out Another Thousand" for a reason....
    2017 Triton TRX Patriot w/250 ProXS Optimax

6. Member
    Some Newby insight:

- Make sure you have a place to keep the boat. Do you have space in driveway, if outside you will need a cover. If garage make sure it will fit. If neither, be ready to pay monthly storage fee.
    - Tow vehicle sufficient?
    - Factor in insurance, gas, oil, general maintenance. Tourney fees if you are going that route.
    - Be ready, financially and emotionally, for stuff to break.
    - If you can't back it up, don't practice Saturday mornings at the ramp.
    - Boat sounds fine if it fits what you want to do with it, as mentioned above. Be ready to want more....length, TM, HP, electronics.
    - Take it for a drive, best way to see if it works for you. If you fish docks, drop the TM and fish them some, you may or may not like the way if operates, feels.
    - Post this on the Indiana page, see if you can get an experienced boat owner to go look with you.

Good luck!

7. Member
    Ask where the boat was stored in cold weather, what type of 2 stroke oil was used , when was the last time the water pump impellor was changed, when was last time bottom end oil (gear box) was changed and how frequently was that done, does boat have a spare prop and where did boater get any prop repairs done. Also ask how often spark plugs were changed. I'd change out the squeeze bulb in the fuel line if it is getting to have hard rubber, plus sometimes the check valve inside fails to work. Were fuel lines ever changed out recently ? How old are the batteries and any problems with the onboard charger, if there is one? Trailer tires die from UV exposure, how old are the tires and what type oil or grease in wheel hubs, and how often changed in an 8 YO boat?

8. Member
    Thanks guys! All good stuff. First, the Skeeter didn't work out. But I found a nice 2013 18 XS Triton that's cleaner than a preachers sheets. 150 Merc with 200 hrs on it. Yes I have storage so that's not an issue. I understand boats require plenty of $$ for maintenance & usage. That's why I'm shopping in this price range, It lets me do what I want with plenty of play $$ to go along with it. I'm not a complete novice, I've been on & around boats a fair amount. I've just never had my own. I am mechanically inclined & work on automobiles plenty. But marine is a bit different for sure. I do have a family, we all like to fish. We won't be all going out at a time though, my kids are growing up & are starting to make their own plans... I plan on fishing just normal Indiana lakes mostly. I fish for all Crappie, Walleye, Bass - I find them all fun.